Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Hand me the guitar please

I think I might be at risk of running myself into the ground at the moment. Last night I noticed with great concern that I was thinking about how wonderful it would be if I could just drop out of uni today, quit my job and spend the rest of the year sitting in the park painting and blowing soap bubbles. In the afternoons, I would sit on the porch and play the guitar (yeah, I know, I don't have a porch and I don't have a guitar, but that's not really the point here.) In the evenings, I would have friends over for dinner and in the morning I would sleep in and then get up, make coffee and spend an hour reading the paper. I would spend a lot of time doing nothing. The thought of it gave me this great feeling of peace.

Do you think that sounds nothing like me? Exactely! That's why I'm worried. I generally love being busy and tend to expect from myself that I can handle anything. But it's just been getting too much lately and it looks like there's no end in sight. I've been doing 6-day-weeks of around 45 hours for the last few weeks at work and have been loosing touch with uni. Just thinking about all the work I should be doing and should have been doing for uni makes me feel sick.

When I talk to my mum on the phone I try to not make it sound too bad, but of course she knows what's going on. She knows I'm a perfectionist who's uncomfortable with doing just ok. I wish I could change that and be happy with just getting by, but how the hell do you change the way you are? Paula (who sometimes takes over the role of my mum, seeing that my mum is not here) also tells me that I need to stop taking way more responsibility at work than I need to. When I reply that there is just nobody else at work who can cover the shifts or keep the reception team together, she tells me that's not my problem. Which, I guess, is a very good point, but still no real solution somehow. Plus, I need to make enough money to pay the rent, the bills, my life and uni fees.

Please feel free to tell me that I'm crazy and need to slow the hell down. I promise I will take it on board, but I can't promise that I will be able to change in a hurry. Oh yeah, and if anybody has a spare porch (ideally with a big old wooden house attached to it) or a spare guitar, please let me know. I might drop a shift at work and book myself in for one afternoon per week of porch-sitting and playing the guitar. And I want to wear a white flowing top with it and cowboy boots.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You take it easy Bettina - we cannot have you getting a bad case of burnout at your tender age. But I do know what you mean. It is real important that you factor some ME time into your life ... or you will wake up one day and wonder what the hell it's all for.
I did that last year and I've peeled back the workload hugely this year for that reason. Apart from taing a long time to recover, I've really enjoyed it.
Take care of yourself.

August 28, 2006 at 8:55 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

Yea sounds good to me. Stop pushing yourself too hard. If you want to jam sometime, just let me know.

August 28, 2006 at 9:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey bettina!!! i do love cafe and i'm having a guitar (despite it is a bass guitar..). just be patient for another few weeks and you can busy yourself brewing that delicious espresso and listen to the sound of a guitar on that wooden porch!!
beso

August 31, 2006 at 6:27 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Thanks Aggie. I know you're so right. But it's not easy- there's so much to do and take care of... I promise I will try to look after myself a bit better though.

Chris: Thank you for making me laugh. That guitar solo is the bomb. I do wonder why you are playing in your underwear though, but I'm not sure if I want to know the answer.

Dear anonymous, I'm not sure who you are, but that sure sounds right up my alley! :-)

August 31, 2006 at 9:44 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a relief!!!! I can actually come here and fell free to say 'you are crazy'??? YOU ARE CRAZY!!!!! I'm also glad to know Mum is always around heheehhe

September 4, 2006 at 4:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home