Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Turn it up, baby


Speaking of funny things. We had this group of fifty people in one of the private rooms at the restaurant for a wine lunch yesterday and there sure was a lot more wine than lunch. During the afternoon, most of them were rather intoxicated and became very funny. I've got this theory that when people get drunk, a certain part of their personality comes out: some get aggressive or violent, others get paranoid and insecure, others very extroverted or funny. Some people just get boring. Those people were mainly the funny kind. They started wandering back and forwards between the bar and the private room, stopping at reception on the way to tell me I had beautiful teeth, take photos of me or explain what wine they were drinking ("tsa blend of dis bloody what's its name and a cap sap... I tink"). One guy started working the grand piano so furiously that I couldn't hear the people on the phone anymore. It was all very funny. The absolute height of it though was when another guy went up to the owner of the restaurant and asked if we could "please turn up the volume on the piano". We just all looked at each other and started rolling on the ground with laughter. I was beyond myself.
Now please don't tell me that's not funny. Or I'm really gonna get worried about my mental state.

9 Comments:

Blogger mardymichi said...

Don't worry about your state of mind. Worry about people complimenting you on your teeth. It's the size of your breasts people should be astonished of, for heaven's sake.

August 16, 2006 at 8:36 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

So were you able to turn up the volume on the piano? Remember: the customer is always right!

P.S. How do I get an invite to one of thoe wine lunches?

August 17, 2006 at 7:49 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Chris, that's very true, the customer is always right. Even when he is a freak. Did you used to work in hospitality?
And no, we were looking for that bloody volume dial on the piano all night, but it must have been very well hidden. If anyone knows where it is, please let me know.

August 17, 2006 at 11:00 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Oh yeah, and as far as the wine lunches are concerned: You need to be able to prove that you can put together three sentences in a row that make no sense whatsoever, that you can dance on one leg with a wine glass in your hand and that you know the difference between Alice in Wonderland and a Cabernet Sauvignon. That should get you on the guest list.

August 17, 2006 at 11:04 AM

 
Blogger Chris said...

I am sooooo there!

Yes, before I became famous I worked at various fast food restraunts, and also the school cafeteria in college. Back then, of course, the customer was always wrong.

August 17, 2006 at 9:05 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

Thank you for the link. I linked back to you.

August 18, 2006 at 1:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO - sounds like it was a great event. Sometimes it just all flows together.

August 18, 2006 at 1:46 PM

 
Blogger SJ said...

It's funny, yes. I like laughing at drunks :)

August 18, 2006 at 1:57 PM

 
Blogger mardymichi said...

Me too. Specially when I'm drunk.

August 25, 2006 at 2:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home