Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Choose wisely my child, your life is in your hands

I'm thinking it's about time for a bit of a more uplifting tone in here again. For God's sake, we don't want to loose the only three readers we have, now do we? So be happy, Bettina, it's not that hard! Now, can I see a bit of a smile coming up there? Good, that's much better.

We tend to take ourselves awefully serious I find. That of course includes my humble self. And I actually think it's a very natural thing, considering we are inside ourselves all the time, it's hard to escape our own rambling thoughts sometimes. We can't really focus on other things as long as our minds won't shut up. But you can train the mind and there's all kinds of tricks. Only usually you can't think of them when you're feeling all down. But as soon as we start to get it together again, at least partially, we should remember how volatile a thing our beautiful mind is. I argue that it cannot clearly distinguish between real and created emotions. Meaning, whether we are genuinely happy or we pretend we are and display all the common features of happiness, it has a similar effect on our mind. The trick is to get it thinking we are happy and then take it from there. Most of the time, the real happiness will soon follow suit as freedom and clarity replace the heavy moments of darkness. Of course it also works the other way around. People who tend to see themselves as unlucky and depressed will no doubt actually become unlucky and depressed. Being sad is often a choice, as much as being happy is. I think it's all in our hands.

Today, I choose to be balanced, with a bit of calm happiness. It's going well so far.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Betts - thats a lovely smile and I agree with the sentiments expressed totally. You are very welcome to link to my Blog and I'll do the same with yours if I may. All will be calm for me when I have some of my own 'space' back
but its also lots of fun having so much going on all at once. Cheers.

April 15, 2006 at 5:27 PM

 
Blogger Karin said...

You're right, we can fool our mind for quite a long time when we really go for it.
Only usually something comes and wipes it all away - a song, a smell, even a word said by or to someone long ago... that reminds us of something that we're trying to forget, and...
No. It will work out, it will :)
*hugs* you're so lovely

April 15, 2006 at 6:36 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

I do think the mind is sort of self programmable. But then that leads to the question of what is programming the mind? Did we find the spirit or the soul?

You do have a pretty smile.

April 16, 2006 at 10:05 PM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

That's an extremely valid point there, Chris... Maybe it's the other way around, that we can use our mind to direct our emotions? At least partially? I do wish sometimes it would all be as easy as that. We can analyse it all we want, sometimes it's just all one big mess- and who knows what's the mind's responsibility and where the soul comes in.

Thanks for dropping by, Chris.

April 17, 2006 at 12:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out some of the poetry on the Intrinsic Expression link via my blog
I think you'll find some really good words there.

April 17, 2006 at 8:28 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

You have a beautiful smile and a wonderful way of expressing yourself. Joys and sorrow, indeed. Don't let anyone take away your smile!

April 18, 2006 at 10:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home