Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

My afternoon of glory



I'm feeling much better this week. After I handed in two big assignments on Monday and held a presentation, I decided I deserved a treat, so I took the afternoon off. First of all, I bought myself a coffee and just sat down for a while reading the paper. I've been hating people for doing that lately. I admit it's pathetic to hate people for doing something as innocent as having a coffee and reading the paper. But I had such little time for myself lately that I would be rushing past people sitting in a cafe thinking "you bastards". Yeah, it's bad, but on Monday I was finally one of those bastards again myself, which made me feel a lot better.

Then I went to do my grocery shopping. Not exactely a treat, I hear you say. Actually, for me it kind of is. It doesn't take much to make me happy- I love grocery shopping. When I walked past the bookshop, I decided to spoil myself and buy a book. I spent about 45 minutes browsing the glory that is a book store before I finally decided on Anne Tyler's new novel and thought I'd throw in a "home grown Blues and Roots" CD. And just to top it off, I decided I might as well also buy that beautiful big Picasso book. An absolute bargain at $34! I was definitely in one of those "What the hell" moods. The ones where you try to decide whether to buy a top and end up doing the "what the hell, I'll buy all three" thing. They can be expensive, these moods, but by god, they are good for the soul.

When I rode home on my scooter with all my treasures, I sang "Leaving on an airplane" really loud. I know that's supposed to be a sad song, but for some reason it's a really good song to sing on a scooter. I got home and had an hour before work to make myself a smoked salmon sandwich, listen to my new CD and flick through the Picasso book. Isn't life grand.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like an ideal way to chill out to me. Glad you are feeling chirpy again.

September 21, 2006 at 7:36 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

When you can make yourself a smoked salmon sandwich, listen to your new CD and flick through a Picasso book life is grand! It is certainly better to be one of the bastards, than to be one of the people that hate the bastards, because, well...hate is bad I guess. You definetly seem like a happy go scooter person.

September 22, 2006 at 12:36 AM

 
Blogger Euromark said...

Maybe they sit in the cafe to escape reality at home? I love to people watch in cafés in Leipzig; Leipzig has a huge assortment of many styles of cafés, and some of them play interesting music and have very unique waiters and waitresses, and besides, da kann man flanieren...

September 22, 2006 at 4:11 AM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

WHAT PRAY TELL IS AN AMBULANCE CHASER? EUROMARK TOLD ME TO ASK. HERE IT IS A LAWYER WHO GOES AROUND DRUMMING UP BUSINESS FOR HIMSELF AT SOMEONE ELSE'S EXPENSE. SHYLOCK COMES TO MIND.

September 23, 2006 at 9:34 PM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Mystic: Strangely enough, Euromark didn't know how to mix an amublance chaser, so I told him to take an ambulance, add some vodka and ice, shake well, strain and serve with a strawberry. It's a classic.

Chris: Can I just say that I didn't ACTUALLY hate the bastards with the newspapers and coffees. I just didn't think they were very considerate to my feelings.

September 25, 2006 at 3:21 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

It is unfortunate that they were not considerate. Perhaps you need a shirt that says "YOU NEED TO PAY MORE ATTENTION TO ME."

September 28, 2006 at 1:44 PM

 
Blogger Euromark said...

Danke, dass wir "gelinkt" sind. Ich habe die Kurve noch nicht gekriegt, wie ich eine Linkliste rechts auf meinem Blog aufliste, und diese Woche habe ich keine Zeit dazu. Schade dass du nicht in Europa bist - der Sept. ist herrlich warm und sonnig - echt eine schöne Ausnahme! And not so blazing hot like Texas...

September 28, 2006 at 9:56 PM

 
Blogger mardymichi said...

What the hell is wrong with you? You on drugs or what? Jee, what have you monster done to my beloved sarcastic as shit fucked up old friend Bettina!!!!!!!?????????
Stop using fabric softener, it so destroys your personality.

September 28, 2006 at 10:11 PM

 
Blogger Euromark said...

Entschuldigung, Mardymichi, but perhaps she prefers fabric softener sheets, you know, for the dryer; it't better for the environment. So fabric softener destroys the personality - hesch iischlägige Erfahrik davo?

September 29, 2006 at 7:53 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Well, maybe I will wear that T-Shirt, Chris. And maybe I am on drugs, Michi. I personally think I have the bloody right to be soppy as fabric softener whenever I want to and yeah, I also think people with coffees and newspapers should pay more attention to my moods. For God's sake.
Interesting how I'm being accused of both being not nice enough and too nice. That's gonna be a hard one to fix.

September 29, 2006 at 3:36 PM

 
Blogger mardymichi said...

I think fabric softener is responsible for all the bad things in the world. According to unknown sources it was the association of fabric softener producers who paid the majority of the bribes necessary to get G.W. Bush re-elected. So ultimately fabric softener is responsible for all the killings in Iraq. They might even have plottet with the league of coffee drinking and newspaper reading people.

September 30, 2006 at 8:28 AM

 
Blogger SJ said...

Bastards always have newspapers :)

October 1, 2006 at 11:22 AM

 
Blogger Karin said...

Haha, i am so glad you finally saw the light :p

October 5, 2006 at 12:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home