Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

If you don't feel like a soppy story, you might want to leave now

I'm feeling melancholy today, but not in a bad way. I feel transparent and a little bit vulnerable, as if my skin was made from paper. I'm touched by everything and would forgive anyone for anything and everything makes me sad, even the beautiful things. Or maybe it's the other way around, that there is beauty in sadness, but it doesn't matter. In any case, I'm not bitter at all, which is always a good thing.

I think the guy at the carpark set it off. A new company has taken over the carpark underneath my work, and there is this little old man who has started to work the cashier counter. He is so sweet and looks so scared that I feel like giving him a hug and telling him that everything is going to be ok. His nose is a bit red and he has the kindest eyes with this little twinkle in them. I met him the first time yesterday. When I went to pay he obviously didn't know that he needs to hit a different button for a scooter than for a car and made a mistake. He looked frightened when he realised and had this little scared smile as he went to get his supervisor who looked mean and was cold to the little old man and thirty years younger. I felt like shaking the supervisor and telling him that he has a responsibility as a human being to protect the weak. Instead I just smiled at the little old man and when I left I felt like crying.

I've got this thing for old people, especially when they look helpless or lonley. It breaks my heart. I saw this old woman today, sitting by herself at the take away shop, with her handbag and a cup of coffee on the table, looking lost and eating a sandwich, and it made me so sad.

When I went to pay for my ticket at the carpark today, the little old man was there again. I so desperately wanted to brighten his day a little bit with a smile and a few nice words. We had a bit of a chat and when he handed me my change he accidentally gave me the ticket back. I told him that he needed to keep the ticket for his files and write my registration number on it. He smiled a shy smile and said, "you are a wonderful woman for helping an old man like me." I had done nothing worth mentioning but it made my day that he looked happier.

I feel like bringing him a piece of cake tomorrow or something to make him smile again. I know, I'm just a silly soppy fool.

10 Comments:

Blogger MYSTIC said...

You never know when you are visited by angels..you could be his angel or vice versa.

If I dress up like a little ole man and have a sad face will you bring me cake too?

October 24, 2007 at 3:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Old people often take medications which affects their behavior and memory.
The red nose may also indicate your friend likes to tipple a bit between carpark customers.
Nonetheless, cake is an appreciated gesture.

October 24, 2007 at 4:14 AM

 
Blogger Kate Michele said...

I often take medicine that affects my behavior and memory, HAHA

Can I get a Bettina smile and some cake?

Good on ya girl. :D

October 24, 2007 at 11:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, so nice of you Betts ... and feeling empathy for older folks is a good thing. We all get there one day and it will be a better world if there are some future Betts out there to help us in our dotage!

October 24, 2007 at 3:55 PM

 
Blogger Paulinha said...

B, I'm the same!! I have a soft spot for older people. I always help them out and have a chat with them when I have a chance. I guess that's because I feel they never get enough attention from other people, so I try to fill in the gap, I guess. This man at you work car park sounds cute!! Get him a piece of cake if you can ;-)

October 24, 2007 at 4:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweet sweet sweetie what a wonderful thing you did. i wish more ppl were like you. you brought tears to my eyes and made me hungry for cake.
i'm inspired to do something kind today, but seeing as i'm stuck at home maybe i'll just get the phone book out and make random calls to strangers with kind affirmations :)

October 25, 2007 at 3:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You people scare me, you really do. The guy is probably an alcoholic who has been given this job as part of his rehabilitation following fifteen charges of indecent exposure. Stay away from him, don't make eye contact, and if he charges pretend you are a tree. Giving him cake is not the best idea you've had, it may encourage him to take up his previous career as a professional stalker.
Otherwise, yes, you are sweet and kind and benevolent. All very nice, gives me a warm feeling all over. Wish there were more people like you etc etc. Using your powers for good rather than evil.....

October 25, 2007 at 1:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way..... Blither..... I'd give you my phone number so that you could call me with kind affirmations. It's not required, I spoke to Amit from Telstra who APPARENTLY lives in Brisbane. he and I spoke for two hours last night, he is now my best friend. plus now my calls to other mobiles are 15 cents cheaper.

October 25, 2007 at 1:28 PM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Mystic- Hahaha, you don't even need to dress up and put on a sad face, I'll get you some cake anyway!

Sera- I don't think he drinks. I think he's just old and not quite up to speed.

K8- You can get a smile and some cake anytime. :-)

Aggs- I would bring you some cake too. You don't even have to be old for it.

Paulinha- I know you're like that too, babe. Maybe we can start an old people's asylum together. There will be free cake every day! :-)

Blitherbean- Hahaha, I wonder whether those random people are going to get the message or just be slightly disturbed by it?

Anonymous- You're not very convincing when you do the "yes you are very sweet blah blah blah etc." thing. You should work on that.

October 26, 2007 at 11:22 AM

 
Blogger Callie said...

I know it is this beautiful Bettina:

Be ye careful to entertain strangers, for some entertain angels unaware.

if anything my friend. You are displaying what the world needs more of right now and that is COMPASSION..........

You are awesome.
callie

October 26, 2007 at 10:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home