Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Thursday, September 13, 2007

The attack of the dangling modifiers

For those of you who think that my life is one big party, please take a moment to share my pain and get a little insight into some of the less glamorous moments in my humble little life.

It's quarter to one in the morning, my eyes are burning like hell and all I want is to curl up in a corner and sleep. My brain is numb and at this very moment, I think I have just forgotten everything I read over the last few hours. Which is a shame, because it was so entertaining.

I guess you could say it was kind of a romance slash adventure story. It involved compound-complex sentences (a bit raunchy, I know), adjective prepositional phrases (they're the bad guys) and a few reciprocal pronouns (awww, so cute!). They story was flowing along quite nicely with a few twists and turns until the dangling modifiers (obviously pure evil) entered the scene and it all got quite ugly. One reciprocal pronoun got killed (shot in the head) and a compound-complex sentence was kidnapped and injured quite badly (its mother is still being treated for shock). Later on it turned out that before it went to the dark side, one of the dangling modifiers used to hang out with a base-form predicate adjective. Which is quite amazing, considering the base-form predicate adjective (which is very attractive, by the way) later on became a devout Catholic. The sad thing was, it turned up on the scene of the crime, trying to talk some sense into the dangling modifier and ended up getting stabbed too. Definitely not a happy end.

My flat mate is watching a comedy show on TV in the room next door and laughing her ass off. If only she knew how much more fun she could have with English grammar. I can't wait for that exam. Looks like I'm gonna ace that one.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gurrrrl...Might I suggest throwing in a few cuss words, and then *diagram* those evil sentances?

Good luck on your Test Baaaaby!
callie

September 13, 2007 at 5:31 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds more like a horror story... I know I'M scared.

Go to bed before crazed maniacal laughter starts

September 13, 2007 at 5:34 AM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

Callie sounds like a girl who went to Catholic School (*diagraming sentences*) Oh! what a turn on. Lily is a little scaredy cat. Could it be that she has been dangling a participle or two? As to the insensitive comedian in the other room, plagiarize her works and get some sleep. Hope you do well but remember the mountains and the snow...PAYBACK TIME!

September 13, 2007 at 9:27 AM

 
Blogger Kate Michele said...

Girl you crack me up.

September 13, 2007 at 9:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Humble little life" doesn't adequately describe you. Your legs dangle into verbiage and laughing fish nickle at your toes.

*Nickle = cross between nibble and tickle, and only costs 5 cents.

September 13, 2007 at 4:02 PM

 
Blogger Jerrster said...

ace your test....then stop by...I want to tell you how bitchen I am...that and hopefully keep alive that "I want an older man" fantasy you keep hidden from everyone...you can tell me....Bettina.

September 13, 2007 at 5:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Witty! Oh- How you amuse the masses!

Cheers Bella!

September 14, 2007 at 2:01 AM

 
Blogger Kate Michele said...

Psst!

I did it...come on over and check it out....

September 14, 2007 at 9:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to clarify something, is this American-English or English-English...there's a BIG difference. American's don't really speak English...Good Luck!!!

September 14, 2007 at 9:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I do like a good murder mystery. Of course the Butler did it!
You'll ace it Betts ... go get some sleep.

September 14, 2007 at 4:26 PM

 
Blogger Lélly Abranches said...

Hahaha.. In my defence, it was a GREAT comedy show, I couldn't hold the laughs and I wouldn't anyway!!

But now will be your payback time as I have to stop laughing (DAMN IT!) and I hve to hit the books too or should I write TO?! haha

September 15, 2007 at 12:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have an English degree ... I would have helped you study.

BTW - you should totally ace the exam!

September 15, 2007 at 1:17 AM

 
Blogger david hayes said...

You reminded me how much love to hate grammar. Sounds like it would make a good movie though...

September 15, 2007 at 1:56 AM

 
Blogger SJ said...

'Going to' isn't spelt with a double N, A ;)

Ok - answer me this, as I have been wondering...

When do you use 'spelled' as opposed to 'spelt'. And 'dreamed' as opposed to 'dreamt'?

September 16, 2007 at 7:04 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Callie- Mhhm, diagramming evil sentences? Hahaha, I'm afraid I'm not quite sure what the heck you mean... but it sounds good! I think I did. Diagram them. :-)

Lily- Never save from the crazed maniacal laughter. Never. It gets me when I'm not watching.

Mystic- You think this is my punishment for going on holidays? That's not very nice of God.

Kate Michele- That's good- at least someone is having fun. :-)

Sera- I never heard someone describe me like that. I love it.

Jerry- Excuse me sir, what "I want an older man" fantasy are we talking about here? And where did that come from? Because it obviously couldn't be just your own fantasy.

Blither- Grazie bella.

Kate Michele- You're so much cooler than me right now. I'm chickening out.

Christy- Good point. We're talking English English. I once had a girl apply for a job and on her resume under "languages" it said Australian. Only Australian.

Aggs- It is always the butler. Or sometimes the base-form predicate adjective.

Mi- Yep, now you can stop laughing because I know what you're "up TOO" right now. :-)

Snavy- Where were you when I needed you? I think I did pretty well though.

David- Thanks for stopping by. I do actually quite like grammar, in a very weird kind of way. VERY weird kind of way.

SJ- Are you seriously asking me this or is this a trick question? I never use 'spelled' or 'dreamed', as far as I know they're just the American spelling.

September 17, 2007 at 8:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Certainly 'dreamt' is a past tense of dream, and interchangeable with 'dreamed'.
But 'spelt?' That is a type of flour that's typically added to animal feed or sold to gourmet breadmakers. 'Spelled' is the correct usage of this word.
Unless, of course, it's a local idiom.

September 18, 2007 at 2:47 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Sera, I know why you would say that, I do think "spelt" is quite uncommon as a verb too and I also think of the wheat first. However, it is the proper American way of spelling the past participle of "spell", while "spelled" is the more common British English version.

Same story for "learnt" and "learned" and "spoilt" and "spoiled" etc.

September 18, 2007 at 9:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home