Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Do you have some change?














Oh yes, and plenty of it. It seems that everything is changing in my life at the moment. Which is good, in a lot of ways. Change is refreshing, renewing and challenging. And scary, sometimes. I haven't had any panic attacks about it yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some lined up in the next few months. But that's ok. I can deal with it. You can hit me literally with anything (although preferably not with a fish in my face, thanks) and even if it knocks me out, I will get up again and soldier on. Sounds great, doesn't it? Such a strong girl. Yeah, kind of, but I forgot to say that I will also shed a tear and more than likely have a panic attack at night at some stage, maybe a few moments of emptiness and most definitely a few what-the-hell-did-I-do-that for's. But again, that's cool. There is no bitterness in the land of Bettina.

If you are interested in a little overview of the recent and upcoming changes in the life of yours truly, read on:

- I have just finished my degree after four and a half years. Yay for me!
- The business I have worked in for the last three years and a bit (and full time for more than a year) has just been sold and our jobs are all finished by the end of the year.
- I have applied for Australian citizenship, which I should hopefully get by January or February next year.
- I have just committed to a relationship again a few weeks ago, for the first time after quite a long time of refusing to acknowledge relationships and insisting the men involved were just "guys I was seeing" rather than boyfriends. Which I am not proud of, by the way. I was "seeing" a guy for ten months at one stage without allowing him to call me his girlfriend.
- One of the best friends I've ever had, the beautiful Paulinha, has left the country a couple of weeks ago to return to her hometown in Brazil, after many years away. Paula and me lived together for three years in four different places and we used to also study and work together for a while. We used to say that we were twins mixed up at birth and placed into different countries (and years.... yes I know, this theory doesn't work. Leave me alone.)
- At least six other good friends have recently left Australia or are seriously considering it.
- I am planning to move back to Europe for a while in about March next year, after having lived abroad on and off for more than nine years (with a couple of stints back home in between). Definitely Switzerland first, and then we'll see.
- I cut my hair off after having long hair for many years.

Anything else? No, I'm not pregnant. But apart from that, I think I've got all the major areas of my life covered: work, tick, study, tick, love, tick, friends, tick, appearance, tick, country of residence, tick, country of citizenship, tick. Considering this rather impressive list, it's quite surprising that I'm not very freaked out. Yet.

My very wise mother used to say that in order to start something new, something old needs to go first. There is unavoidably always a gap in between the old and the new, a hole, which is what can make us feel empty and a bit lost. But the hole needs to be opened up to create space for a new beginning- nothing new will find space if the old hasn't been removed first. Such a wise woman, my dear mum. She's got it all worked out.

And considering this has been all about change and considering we are getting a bit deep and meaningful now, I would like to step it up a notch and close with an English translation of one of my favourite poems by Herman Hesse, called "Stufen" (Steps) in German. So if this is getting too deep for you, run now. Otherwise, enjoy:


Steps
As every flower fades and as all youth
Departs, so life at every stage,
So every virtue, so our grasp of truth,
Blooms in its day and may not last forever.
Since life may summon us at every age
Be ready, heart, for parting, new endeavor,
Be ready bravely and without remorse
To find new light that old ties cannot give.
In all beginnings dwells a magic force
For guarding us and helping us to live.
Serenely let us move to distant places
And let no sentiments of home detain us.
The Cosmic Spirit seeks not to restrain us
But lifts us stage by stage to wider spaces.
If we accept a home of our own making,
Familiar habit makes for indolence.
We must prepare for parting and leave-taking
Or else remain the slaves of permanence.
Even the hour of our death may send
Us speeding on to fresh and newer spaces,
And life may summon us to newer races.
So be it, heart: bid farewell without end.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you Bettina! The scariest thing about adventures, and life is an adventure, is trusting yourself. Once you learn to do that, everything else becomes better. You are a remarkable person.

November 28, 2007 at 12:45 AM

 
Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

Ohhh my dear Bettina,
I will from now on until eternity always, always think of You when I read this poem ... edit ... enough to hear the name Herman Hesse ... edit ... the word "Brave" will be enough!

Didn't know You where from Europe, but it sure explains why I understand all Your English written language, but have great difficulties with others.

May the braveness be with You!

(( hug ))

November 28, 2007 at 4:09 AM

 
Blogger Jerrster said...

ah pretty Bettina we are watching you grow up...in real blog time. Your Mother is a wise woman.

November 28, 2007 at 12:37 PM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Sera- You are so right. I do trust myself and that gives me a lot of peace. And... thank you. YOU are a remarkable person.

Anna-Lys- I love that you connect Hesse with me- what an honour. May the braveness be with you too! I know it is. :-) Hugs!

Jerry- I'm glad you're still dropping by. And yes, my mother is very wise. She is a great role model.

November 28, 2007 at 4:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Life is a continuous journey Betts and it has all the elements of beginnings and endings layered within. Taking the right attitude along the way is everything. I think you will enjoy every step of it.

November 28, 2007 at 4:45 PM

 
Blogger Jerrster said...

so...I don't have email for you....:::sigh::::get mine and say hi...OK?

November 28, 2007 at 4:56 PM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Aggs- Another wise woman... thank you.

Jerry- Ok. Of course.

November 29, 2007 at 9:06 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You left one thing off your list. Get to talk every now and then to Anonymous... tick.

By the way... you're not from Europe. You're from Australia. You're an Aussie. A new Australian granted, but aren't we all?

November 29, 2007 at 10:00 AM

 
Blogger Jerrster said...

wow it's my birthday already at your house.

November 29, 2007 at 10:39 AM

 
Blogger Jerrster said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 29, 2007 at 10:39 AM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

Wishing you the best

November 30, 2007 at 9:31 AM

 
Blogger Euromark said...

I let go of a lot to come to Europe. But now I can get "my Texas" back in a much better way. Get ready for reverse culture shock when you move back to Züri. Both you and die Schwyyz have changed. Take time for "nach innen kehren".

December 1, 2007 at 5:16 AM

 
Blogger Callie said...

You are so awesome...No need to say more....

callie

December 4, 2007 at 12:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.

December 4, 2007 at 9:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, are we party hearty-ing up large at the mo? Go gal!
Whatcha plans for Chrissie?

December 5, 2007 at 5:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, If you have ever thought about writing some script to automate those things that you are doing many times on a daily basis, then you have a great and easy way to automate the entir e process. It comes without saying that a few imacros and firefox add-ons can automate all actions connected to a browser (Mozilla). If you want to automate your system as such, then you'll need another script, easy commands will automate your system. Even a beginner can automate things using a simple software called as sikuli all you need to do is to inform Sikuli what to do by giving some screenshots and simple commands.
A GUI can be used with Sikuli. Sikuli is an open siurce scripting application that will use a mix of straightforward commands like click, type, wait and so on. There's no internal API support, it simply searches the screen for the image within the screenshot-which implies that you'll use it for anything. There is literally no limit on how you utilize it to automate things.
This is too good to be true, however if you watch the following video, you will come to know that this is really easy. If you visit their home page, you get a lot of tutorials and support; it will be a cake walk even for beginners. You can check the video as well as get the software at [url=http://technoages.com/operating-system/apple-mac-os/automate-everything-through-a-simple-script-make-your-computer-listen-to-you/]TechnoAges.com[/url]

February 13, 2010 at 1:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home