Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Monday, March 10, 2008

Awwwww......

When I walked up to my bus stop this morning, a middle aged rather large lady with a happy face gave me a big smile and said, "Good morning!" I smiled back. "Morning." I appreciated the fact that she acknowledged me, as most mornings there is about the same group of people waiting for the 7.25am bus, but although that makes us almost something like a team, most of them just ignore each other. I'm fairly new to the 7.25 team, so it was nice to get a welcome.

The big lady looked at me and said, "You always look so lovely."

"Oh, thank you!" I smiled again. I was quite surprised.

"Every morning you wear something different and it always matches and is all beautiful and perfect", the lady said.

I laughed. "Some of my friends give me a hard time because I've got a bit of an obsession with colour cordination."

"Oh no no no", the lady said, "it's just so delightful to see you in the morning. I always look at you and think, I wish I had such good taste."

Inside the bus, I looked at my chocolate brown high heels with the beige stripe which exactely matched the colour of my belt, which in turn was a shade lighter than my jacket. The singlet underneath my jacket was the same colour as the other stripe on my heels and the bag was pretty much the same beige as my jacket. It goes without saying that of course the earrings matched the colour scheme as well as my ring.

I really am a bit of freak with my obsessive colour cordinating. But it's nice to see that some obviously don't hold that against me and in fact even make the effort to tell me I look nice. Awww... random acts of kindness. They are the best. Especially if they are directed at me.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bettina, not only are they random acts of kindness, but could also be an angel just to give you a lift.

I look at it that way sometimes...What a sweet sentiment though.......

Welcome to the 7.25am club.

March 10, 2008 at 10:48 PM

 
Blogger SJ said...

See, if a guy had said that you'd have assumed it was a come-on.

By the way, you always look so lovely... :D

March 11, 2008 at 12:56 AM

 
Blogger Jerrster said...

Just be careful...remember in the film "American Beauty" Kevin Spacey's character Lester Burnam says "That's my wife, Carolyn. See the way the handle on her pruning shears matches her gardening clogs? That's not an accident."

but I'm sure you're not that crazy.

right?

March 11, 2008 at 1:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt the exact same way some time ago in Brussels, when a neighbour passed me in the street, holding a bouquet of flowers & offered me one, out of the blue :)

As for the color coordination mention in your post, I've only got 1 thing to say:

THANK GOD I'm not alone in this...I must admit, I was starting to worry ;)

March 11, 2008 at 7:55 PM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Callie- Thank you. You're an angel too.

SJ- Actually, no. If a guy had told me that he loved the way I perfectly colour coordinated my outfit, I wouldn't have thought it was a come-on. I would have thought he was gay.

Jerry- Of course not. It really is coincidence that my pruning shears match my garden clogs.

Just kidding.

Imogen- Well, may I welcome you then to the club of freaky obsessive colour coordinators? It's a pleasure to have you here!

March 11, 2008 at 10:51 PM

 
Blogger SJ said...

See now I have to make some crude Ocker remark so you don't think I'm gay :)

March 11, 2008 at 11:02 PM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Ahem, no thanks, Mr Jones. I'm pretty sure you're not.

March 12, 2008 at 12:14 AM

 
Blogger Kate Michele said...

Hahah Bettina love i was going to say the same thing about jones comment...


Now do your bra and panties always match? I have an obsession with that..haha

March 12, 2008 at 1:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a nice lady!
Makes me almost want to take the bus.

March 12, 2008 at 6:45 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

KM- Great minds think alike, baby. And yeah, you guessed it. I do coordinate my underwear. Surprise! :-)

Blither- Although you have to remember that for every nice lady on the bus there are about ten other people who are either idots or who just pretend nobody else exists- they won't look at you or, God forbid, talk to you. Ever.

March 13, 2008 at 12:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to be acknowledged in a positive way. A kind word, a knowing wink, a shared look, these are simple but wonderful gestures.
Color coordination is wonderful. Sometimes, when I just don't have the right match, I'll purposefully color destruct myself too- mismatched shoes or socks being the usual offending piece. I get round-about complements: Your shoes don't match. I know. Oh, well... it looks interesting. Thanks!

March 13, 2008 at 2:06 AM

 
Blogger Mind Sprite said...

What a lovely compliment. And I'm totally with you on the matchy-matchy. It drives me crazy when my shoes just don't *quite* match :P

March 13, 2008 at 3:11 AM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

Are you gals nuts? Color (Colour) Coordination is just too too much. If I get out the door with my trousers on and a pair of shoes that match, I'm ahead of the crowd. As for the underwear things, I think you need to talk to Brittany Spears about her "lack there of" She nevers has a coordination problem unless she is high.

March 14, 2008 at 12:28 AM

 
Blogger Cindy-Lou said...

I try to avoid color coordination at all costs. Hand/eye coordination as well.

March 14, 2008 at 6:11 AM

 
Blogger Jan said...

There are people with perfect combination on but yet nobody smile at them. Not your case. Not only colour coordination matters but the spirit.

March 15, 2008 at 6:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Colour co-ordination is as essential to a female as breathing. I can't survive the day if something doesn't match. Anyone who doesn't match around me is in danger of me making them over big time!

March 15, 2008 at 8:23 AM

 
Blogger Ariel said...

Ms Bettina,
could you email me please? EmpressAriel@gmail.com. I'm quite worried about a mutual friend.

March 15, 2008 at 12:10 PM

 
Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

High recognition! :-)
I thought I was the only one with that obsession. I rather come late to the office, than have the wrong colour sticking our somewhere. *lol*
But, I don't take the bus, so I don't know peoples opinion - ahhh so wath an obsession is not depending on the significant Other. :-D

Have a lovely Weekend Beauttina

March 16, 2008 at 5:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home