Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Normal is boring



Apparently, the only normal people are the ones you don't know very well. Which, when I think about it, is very true. I can't think of a single person I know that I would consider totally "normal". Me personally, I'm certainly far from it, and if I may say so myself, quite proud of the fact. My closest friends are all entertaining, great, caring, smart and funny people, but normal? No way. My family? I couldn't love them more, but no, they are not what you would call "normal" either. Which is good.

My good friends now know that it is generally intended as a compliment when I call them crazy, but when I first do it to people who don't know me that well, they sometimes mistakenly get a bit offended. Until I explain to them that I much prefer crazy people over so-called "normal" ones. As far as I am concerned, normal people bore the hell out of me. Having said that though, and coming back to my intial point, what would a normal person even be like? To me, normal sounds like someone who is not passionate about anything (boring), has no quirky habits (boring) and doesn't do anything out of the ordinary (boring). Yet, only being boring still doesn't qualify you as being normal, so where are the normal people? Certainly not in my life. Thank God.

Maybe I should also mention here that there are certain types of craziness I do not necessarily approve of or want too much of in my life. But give me someone moderately crazy any day over someone normal.

10 Comments:

Blogger Euromark said...

"Normal" generally comes from statistical graphs, which means half the people are on the "left" and the other half on the "right" of normal, so a truly 50-50 down the middle "normal" person is a figment of a statistic. Every person is a unique blend of heredity, behaviour, tastes, experiences, fears, aspirations, etc. that makes none of us "normal" in the sense mentioned above. Concerning you (and me), a native of one country with a particular language living in another country where you must speak another language - that most certainly isn't normal - gel? oderrrrr?

October 2, 2006 at 3:01 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I happily stay in the land of crazy - much more fun.

October 2, 2006 at 7:41 AM

 
Blogger mardymichi said...

The nice thing about Bettina is that she purpously misunderstands me whereas most normal people genuinly misunderstand me.

October 2, 2006 at 9:26 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

There are so few normal people, that really normal people are abnormal if you think about it.

October 2, 2006 at 10:07 PM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

I DIDN'T WRITE "THE RULES" SO THEREFORE I DON'T PLAY BY THEM...DOES THAT MAKE ME ABNORMAL? I JUST THINK I'M CREATIVE, NOT ABNORMAL. I WOULDN'T RECOGNIZE NORMAL IF I TRIPPED OVER IT. If I make someone laugh...that to me is normal. To many sour people in the world of NORMAL

October 3, 2006 at 2:35 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Thank you everyone. It feels good to be surrounded by so many crazy people.

Michi, that's a beautiful discription of our relationship. I love purposely misunderstanding you and I think I'm quite good at it, if I may say so myself. But I must return that compliment- you're bloody amazing at it yourself.

October 3, 2006 at 1:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think "normal" means 'stereotypical', but of course, the funny thing about stereotypes is that they arent all that typical - I mean how many Australians do you see wearing a cork-hat?

I like the way you think Bettina.

Jump out of a plane, there's no greater rush.

Ben =)

October 5, 2006 at 11:11 PM

 
Blogger Paulinha said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

October 6, 2006 at 4:23 PM

 
Blogger Paulinha said...

Linda,
I couldn't agree more! The world normal should be next to not only boring but also "know nothing about life" in a dictionary. Is "know nothing about life" in the dictionary??? That's not normal!?!?hahahahaha.
Beijos and can't wait to goss after a bloody week apart...

October 6, 2006 at 4:25 PM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Thank you for your comment, Ben. Actually, I have jumped out of a plane before, but thanks for the suggestion. I can see you understand me. :-)

Paulinha linda, one things is for sure: you couldn't be much further from normal. That's why I love you so much.

October 9, 2006 at 3:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home