Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Yeah, yeah, yeah, call me arrogant

I'm back at uni for my very last semester. And I'm feeling more out of place than ever. Three days a week I go to uni straight after work in my suit and then find myself in tutorial groups full of kids with braces and too much gel in their hair. Yeah, I kid you not, they actually wear gel again, I didn't realise that either. Many of them are ten years younger than me. Not that I have anything against kids, in fact, I want to have some of my own at some stage, but doing group work with children who have Christina Aguilera stickers on their text books kind of kills the academic mood. I feel strangely snobbish, but I just don't know what to talk to them about and frankly, I would rather hang out with their parents. I keep on thinking that maybe I have accidentally been put into a high school class. It's like a weird dream where everyone else is 12 and I'm 28 and I'm looking around trying to get people's attention so they can say "Oh, you don't belong here, you should go to the group with the adults." But nobody seems to notice.

I complained to a friend of mine and he said, "don't be rude, they're not really that young, you're just very old." Oh, ok. That makes it much better.

13 Comments:

Blogger MYSTIC said...

I'm not laughing, honest! It is natural to feel this way, but it will change as you get OLDER. The age gap will close, you are just caught in the middle right now. You are close to both ends and don't feel a part of either. Enjoy it while you can because time never goes backward...Last semester huh? Great! Enjoy every moment of it...

August 13, 2007 at 5:02 AM

 
Blogger Kate Michele said...

Don't feel bad, I felt this way in High school and the kids were my age!! I still don't have friends my own age..... I think I was born 40. HAaha

August 13, 2007 at 7:51 AM

 
Blogger PJ van Zyl said...

lol I hate going to Campus. Makes me feel really old

August 13, 2007 at 4:30 PM

 
Blogger Callie said...

*laughs*

I love you girl..Hang in there!!!

callie

August 14, 2007 at 12:05 AM

 
Blogger Jerrster said...

He better be a GOOD friend to have said that to you....that or he's working on being an ex-friend..."very old" will never quite fit you Bettina.

August 14, 2007 at 1:40 AM

 
Blogger SJ said...

Keep it real, Grandma :)

August 14, 2007 at 3:12 PM

 
Blogger Dany Bachir said...

Hey. Great blog you've got there. A mixture of humor and seriousness.
Excellent combination.
As for the uni, it's nice to look back and see how we all were in the past. I'm trying to remember who our "Christina Aguilera" was. Nothing is hitting me!
Anyways, keep it up.
Dany

August 14, 2007 at 3:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol Betts! Just get a walking frame and be done with it.
Eww, hair gel ... seriously?

August 14, 2007 at 4:32 PM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Mystic- Thank you for not laughing. Because this is serious.

Kate Michele- Maybe you and me should go and hang out in a nursing home?

Pete- You too? I'm glad you're on my team.

Callie- I will, I will. I'm tough, I can do this! You rock (sorry, I mean you RAWK) and I'm glad you're back.

Jerry- Oh thank you, Jerry, you can be my new best friend. And don't worry, he is a good friend. He loves making fun of me and he knows that he can get away with it. For some strange reason.

SJ- Hahaha! Word up.

Dany- Hi, thank you for dropping by, nice to see you here. My Christina Aguilera, by the way, was Roxette and Whitney Houston. Nowhere near as bad.

Aggs- Thank you, do you know where I can get one?

August 14, 2007 at 7:51 PM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

August 14, 2007 at 7:51 PM

 
Blogger Katie McKenna said...

This is so funny! I am laughing! I feel the same way when I get around kids the same ages of mine - and I'm suppose to work? with them...

August 15, 2007 at 12:26 AM

 
Blogger Cindy-Lou said...

Yeah, the hair gel keeps the fauxhawk in place on those windy days.

August 17, 2007 at 4:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post reminded me of my summer holiday :roll:

Oh well, at least you're outta there in a few months...

August 27, 2007 at 3:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home