Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I want to be a bikie

Ok, before we go any further with this, I would like to apologise to my scooter. For those of you who don't know him, my scooter's name is Struppi (which means "messy hair" in Swiss German, but let's not get into this, it's a long story) and he is the cutest thing ever. He is cute and red and sexy and I love him. We've got a great relationship. We hang out almost every day and never get sick of each other. I polish his coat and he smiles at me and I blow him kisses when I walk up to him. We look great together, we have a similar dress sense and he carries my groceries home. We complete each other. You can see, Struppi and me really have no issues whatsoever, which is why this might come as a bit of a shock to him. I want a motorbike. Sorry, Struppi. I still love you and you will always be my first love.

But sometimes... sometimes, when we stand at the intersection, waiting for the light to go green, sometimes a big bike comes up and stops next to me. And I look over and my heart beats a bit faster. And the bike revs the engine and I bite my lip and try to avoid Struppi's jealous look as I imagine it was me on the bike.

My mum is most definitely going to have a heart attack when she reads this and she might even wonder what went wrong and whether maybe she should have been less strict with me or more strict or allowed me to have a dog. Or a hamster. But honestly, none of this would have mattered. I want a bike, preferably a Triumph, and I want a leather jacket and I'm going to paint wings on my helmet and my bike is going to spit fire and my hair will blow in the wind and I will laugh as I overtake your ass. Mark my words. Sorry mum.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you have a relationship with your bike, and give it a funny name. It's a wonderful way to make your life less ordinary, and more living. Your visual description males me almost feel I am with you, on the back, holding on for dear life. /hugs

July 25, 2007 at 11:41 PM

 
Blogger Jerrster said...

I think Girls are sexy on motorcycles or playing electric guitars. But...hopefully not to sound like your mother..."For God's sakes be CAREFUL!"

July 26, 2007 at 6:43 AM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

I sort of laughed as I read this post (men don't giggle) I would love to give you some fatherly advice but I can't...I love Motorcycles. I have ridden them all over the world. After my last ride I gave my Bike to my eldest daughter. She and her husband ride Harleys..each has their own, and they have already bought bikes for the boys. Even the twins have motorized four wheelers...and a dirt bike..I'll post a pic. I have even let others ride my Midnight Blue Bike when I was away. (I lent it to a Nun) She was close to God anyway. She became the Flying Nun for sure. People will tell you to be careful but I will give you the Best advice of all...Ride like everyone out there is trying to kill you and you might survive. I owe my life to my helmet. I wrecked in Pensacola Fla when a "woman" opened her car door in front of me. I pushed off my rider, pulled the bike over on its side and hit the door..The bike went airborne, I went under the door and the bike came down on my head. We are talking 1/2 ton of metal landing on your head at 40 mph. My helmet took the impact. I survived but the helmet did not but I love that helmet. It actually compressed and pushed the bike off my head. I have a scar on my chin as a prize but that is all. I tried to teach Mo to drive at an early stage of our relationship...she still blames me for her broken great left toe..She did put her (broken)foot down once when she saw me driving bye the house with (HER) son on my back at about 60 mph. He loved it! MOMMA DID NOT!! I guess that is a mother's job. So don't worry about your mother caring too much. I will see if I have any old pictures of my bike...I was looking at a bike today for $10,000 US. I don't think Momma will let me have another bike at that price. SOOOO my advice to you young lady is...be careful! I would hate to see you hurt...

July 26, 2007 at 7:14 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Seraphine- Jump on my friend and do hold on for dear life! We are going for a ride!

Jerry- I promise I will be. Sexy. Oops, I mean careful!

Mystic- Wow, you are so cool- and so is your daughter! She rides a Harley, how great is that? I can't believe you gave your bike to a nun, that's classic. And the story with the bike on your head is scary. I promise I will always wear a helmet...
I would love to sit down and hear some of your bike stories... and I would LOVE to see some photos of your bike, please try to find them!

July 26, 2007 at 10:24 AM

 
Blogger Kate Michele said...

HOT HOT HOT!!!

Just don't get all trashy biker momma like though! Haha!!

I love the edge it gives a gal. ;)

July 26, 2007 at 11:47 AM

 
Blogger Jerrster said...

Bettina...you GOT sexy....just be safe...and uh send me some photos of you stradling the TriUMPH.

"I-I-I-I don't want a pickle...just wanna ride my MOTORCycle"

July 26, 2007 at 2:33 PM

 
Blogger Kev Cruz said...

Great post..
I once spent a whole year without my bike.....worst year of my life!
Great blog by the way!

July 27, 2007 at 8:59 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Kate Michele- Trashy? Don't worry, I'll be all class. Apart from the time when I give that annoying car that is always in my way the finger! :-)

Jerry- Ok, that's a deal. I'll be sexy AND safe. I can do that. :-)

Kev- Hi, and thank you for dropping by! You've got a bike?? Cool, you can be my friend! :-) What sort of bike?

July 27, 2007 at 1:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh, bike racing Betts?? Yep, pick me! Faster! Faster!

Although I'm patting forlorn and crying little struppi out in the garage, all dusty and forgot.
There, there don't cry. Aww!

July 27, 2007 at 3:52 PM

 
Blogger PJ van Zyl said...

Thanks for dropping by.
aah the freedom of a bike

July 27, 2007 at 7:12 PM

 
Blogger Paulinha said...

Hey B,
if you're already very disgusting with Struppi, imagine when you get a bike??? Oh dear, someone will be causing trouble...
I reckon that now, without a car, I might get into the scooter gang. What do you think ;-)
Thanks for your previous post. But think it in the bright side. I'm sure it'll be great to have some time off me, huh???
Beijos grandes!!!

July 29, 2007 at 9:15 PM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

I have a hunch what you might be like on a bike...I won't say more.

July 31, 2007 at 11:07 AM

 
Blogger Chris said...

The symbolism here is so revealing of your inner soul. Did you mean to be so explicit?

August 5, 2007 at 11:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's one hell of a visual!

Looking forward to the real-life, digital evidence ;) Sure it won't be long...

August 27, 2007 at 3:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home