Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Let's have a bite of that cute puppy

















While without a doubt there are many much more important questions we should discuss, one thing I asked myself the other day is: Why is it that if we see a cute puppy, kitten or baby, we often have the reflex to squeeze it really hard? My good friend Paula goes even further and wants to bite really cute things. I remember one time we were in the lift with a mother who had an extra cute baby in her pram. Paula got all excited and screamed that she wanted to bite the baby into the feet! You can imagine how freaked out the mother was. Before Paula saw her new baby cousin for the first time she said that "he'd better watch out, because I'm gonna bite him so much he won't know what happend to him." I was a bit concerned for the child's safety.

I'm not saying it's a unnatural reaction- I get it too sometimes. I passed a guy yesterday who had probably about the world's second cutest puppy (I saw the cutest one the other day) and I noticed how I was clenching my teeth and felt like squeezing it. Which really makes me wonder who came up with the idea of installing this urge into people. Surely, it can't be good in any way. Some cute helpless baby or puppy comes along, all innocent and stuff, and happens to be so damn cute that someone squeezes it to death? So sad.

My friend Paula the baby feet biter is Brazilian and I always enjoy blaming weird things on her nationality. But that still wouldn't explain why even us Swiss, who are known to be sensible, have an expression which literally translates as "this is so cute I could eat it". And we like to use this one for babies particularly. Maybe we are all just nutcases.

8 Comments:

Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

I don't recognize that feeling. But I guess I am odd. How are You dear?

April 1, 2008 at 9:56 PM

 
Blogger Paulinha said...

B, your urge to bite people comes exactly because of your nationality. You're half Brazilian after all, remember???
Your post is quite interesting, considering I spent the whole weekend biting my cousin and my little nephew... they are sooooo cute!!! I can’t stop biting them!!! Now I know why they both run from me every time I see them ;-)
But what can I do if they are so damn cute???
And you know what's the funniest thing?? My little cousin (3 year-old) always squeezes my nephew (1-and-a-half years old) when they catch up. And every time I say to my nephew “squeeze auntie’s chick”, he does it real hard!!! They are all learning the art of clenching teeth and squeezing cute stuff!!!!
Big kiss and miss you heaps!!!
xoxoxoxoxooxoxoox

April 1, 2008 at 10:24 PM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

I have never been moved to bite a puppy or baby. the best I can do is hold them on my shoulder and let them cuddle. Kiss them good night when they are sleepy or tickle them when they are awake and playful. I think this biting thing comes from eating too much chocolate. It obviously makes you want to bite everything...Put the puppy down and step back!

April 2, 2008 at 3:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, if I see a cute guy it's not the puppy I wanna bite.
(smacks hand ... now, get back on the subject)
I think that biting thing stems from when you were a baby, everything you learnt/tried out in your world ... you did it by shoving it in your mouth and tasting/biting it.
However, we are supposed to grow out of the tendency ... but sometimes you just have to have a wee nibble.

April 2, 2008 at 5:11 PM

 
Blogger Jerrster said...

I know this isn't the first time this has been mentioned but I swear someone should have a cute dog rental service for guys who want to meet women. Pick up your puppy at 10AM Sat. morning and go walk in the park for a few hours...it could work...maybe.

April 3, 2008 at 3:07 AM

 
Blogger Jerrster said...

btw...I've known some biters in my day...yes if it's really cute they go for it with their teeth...ouch!

April 4, 2008 at 3:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laffs. I was going "Whaaaaa..."
and then I noticed the date.
You are evil, Bettina. *Grins*

April 5, 2008 at 3:59 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

"Hi everyone. My name is Bettina and I bite puppies."

"Hi Bettina!"

Now, just to clarify. I don't ACTUALLY bite puppies or babies. I don't even really get the biting thing- that was my friend Paula. And the squeezing thing is more like the way you want to hug your partner so much that they barely get any breath anymore... because you love them so much.

So relax everyone and stop hiding your babies from me. I won't bite.

April 6, 2008 at 4:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home