Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Little donkey small and gray

We have this old custom in Switzerland called "Samichlaus", which translates to Santa Claus. However, he's not like other Santa Clauses. While he looks like them, he doesn't arrive on Christmas, but on the 6th of December. He lives in the forrest and he comes with a helper called "Schmutzli", who's in a dark robe with a black face and carries a rod made from branches. He doesn't say anything but he's kind of scary. Samichlaus carries a bit hessian bag full of mandarines, peanuts, chocolates and gingerbread. Him and Schmutzli will come to your house and they know exactly what you've been up to during the year, and if you haven't been a good girl or a good boy, then god help you. Because Schmutzli will take you into his bag and they will take you to the forrest. And you might even get your arse beaten.

At least that's how the story goes, and most kids have a cousin who has a friend, who has a sister who knows someone who's friend once got taken away to the forrest. This obviously only applies to you if you're a kid. Once you're an adult, you're fine. You can be as naughty as you damn well will and Schmutzli won't give a rat's arse. He might even like it.

If you ARE a kid, however, and you have been good, or at least kind of acceptable, then things are looking up for you. Now all you need to do is recite a Samichlaus poem to the two guys from the forrest and you will be rewarded. They will pour out the big hessian bag on your livingroom floor and you will have enough mandarines and peanuts to make you sick. They're actually pretty cool guys, Samichlaus and Schmutzli. Once you get to know them.

Anyway. While the proper day for them to arrive is the 6th of December, they usually make an appearance a bit earlier, at Christmas markets and stuff. I had to go to one of them a couple of days ago to write an article about the first arrival of Samichlaus, which is always kind of a big deal. Usually they arrive with a donkey, but this one arrived in a horse and carriage- pretty damn posh, if you ask me. Don't know how he makes the money in the forrest to afford a fancy horse and carriage, but that's not my problem. The kids went mental, of course. They all crowded him to tell him their little poems. Most of them had a mix of fear and excitement in their eyes and the really young ones spoke so softly you barely noticed they actually said something. But Samichlaus was generous and they all got a little Santa bag with goodies. Usually no kids over the age of, I guess, about eight or so would go up to Santa, because they don't believe in it anymore. They're already too cool to believe in fairy tales. So it's really just for the very young kiddies.

But when the first rush of the kids was over, Santa looked at me and then at Schmutzli and he said: "Schmutzli, you need to give this girl a bag of goodies too. She's been giving me such a lovely smile." He went to get a bag but I said: "Hang on. I know a Santa poem too." He looked at me surprised: "Really? Do you?" I said: "Yes, I do. As a matter of fact, this was the first Santa poem I ever delivered, when I was two." So I stood in front of them and recited the "Eseli, Eseli chli und grau" poem. It's about a "little donkey, little donkey, small and gray". And I tell you what, I rocked the socks off that poem. They absolutely loved it. And I was the only person over the age of eight to go home with a Samichlaus goodie bag.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suspect your huge smile will always get you a "goodies bag" Betts, wherever you may go the world over. It's so great you remembered your poem from way back then. I loved the traditional story from your part of the world too!

November 27, 2008 at 9:13 AM

 
Blogger Paulinha said...

I remember this story!! You told me a few things about the donkey and the poem. But shame on you B, after so many years, flirting with Santa?!?!?!?! heheheh...
Miss you heaps babe. I've moved to my new unit. I'm bloody loving it!! I owe you a big email.
Beijos!!

November 28, 2008 at 2:33 AM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

I have a few thoughts that come to mind but it would get me pulled out into the woods and my arse beat. Now we know why our Santa is making a list and checking it twice, trying to find out whose naughty or nice...It is obvious, no matter where you go, you will be receiving gifts. As for me...let the beatings begin.

November 29, 2008 at 1:48 AM

 
Blogger Larry said...

Thank God I have a lot of hiking and hunting gear. I fear that I will probably end up in the woods.

November 29, 2008 at 3:23 AM

 
Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

LOL
You Rock!

November 30, 2008 at 2:18 AM

 
Blogger Rick Rockhill said...

I have not been by in AGES and finally found your blog again. Great to catch up on things, hope all is well..

-Rick

November 30, 2008 at 2:51 AM

 
Blogger Euromark said...

I wonder if Samichlaus had his telephone number inside the goodie bag he gave you...
So why is it that children have to be good, but adults don't? Maybe if we adults try to be good - try really hard, you know - then someone in a red robe will come to us with a bag of goodies.... hmmmm

November 30, 2008 at 5:53 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Aggs- Maybe I should try a bit more actively to get goodies bags then. Anywhere I go. Can't be that hard. And if worse comes to worst, I can always use the little-donkey poem.

Paulinha- Excuse me, babe, I wasn't FLIRTING with Santa. Clearly, I'm a good girl, otherwise he would have never offered me the Santa bag, but taken me away in the big hessian bag.

Oh, you've moved! How cool! I'm dying to see photos and hear all about it! Will try to give you a call sometime soon. Te amo.

Mystic- I won't tell Santa about you if you can organise a little goodie bag for me? And I wouldn't mind a poem either.

Larry- Make sure you take a big warm jacket before you get taken to the woods. It's bloody cold in the Swiss forrests at the moment.

Anna-Lys- No, YOU rock.

PSS- Oh, hi there! Long time no hear. Hope all's been well in your neck of the woods. Thanks for dropping by.

EM- Hahaha, actually, he didn't. I think the problem is that for some weird reason they just assume adults know what they do. While really they should occasionally get taken to the forrest and get their arse beaten. They would deserve it more than the kids.

December 1, 2008 at 8:03 AM

 
Blogger Cindy-Lou said...

I like the idea of making the kids work for the goodies. Here they just get toys thrown at them simply for being children!

December 1, 2008 at 12:35 PM

 
Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

YOU do! ;-)

December 1, 2008 at 4:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and your goodie bag. I'm so proud of our Beautiful Bettina!

Cheers Bella!

December 2, 2008 at 2:46 AM

 
Blogger Larry said...

Oh, believe me, I'm prepared for almost all temps, except for maybe artic ones. I used to have to be in the forests during all seasons. And, the Swiss woods would be a wonderful change of scenery, at least for me.

December 2, 2008 at 5:11 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a wonderful story, bettina. i'm sure you charmed the socks off samichlaus and his helper.
i think sami earns his income selling mushrooms, which are plentiful in the forest.
everyone loves mushrooms.

December 2, 2008 at 6:55 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Cindy-Lou- I know. I think they should go even further and get them to do tricks as well.

Anna-Lys- No, you do.

Blitheroo- I'm sure you would have gotten a goodie bag. Your inner child is alive and kicking!

Larry- Well, then I believe you are ready to go and challenge Samichlaus.

Sera- Hahaha... Sami is selling mushrooms? Love it. Why didn't I think of this.

December 3, 2008 at 8:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know, sami will probably leave a switch and a lump of coal for me this year for giving him up.

December 4, 2008 at 5:51 AM

 
Blogger Avshar said...

Great story. Now i have a poem to go look up :)

December 10, 2008 at 3:26 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Good stuff. I liked that post. Brought back all kinds of memories.

December 13, 2008 at 7:59 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home