Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I feel fine, God damn it!

Do you ever get days where you feel great until everyone asks you whether you are alright, after which you suddenly start to feel bad? I had one of those today. I had more sleep last night than I have had for a long time and came into work feeling great. On top of that, I thought my hair looked particularly good when I left home and I strode into the office happily, ready to take on a big day. My boss was already there, which is highly unusual- he usually gets in about 10am. He was on the phone when I walked in and nodded at me- he looked a bit stressed. I gave a wave and a smile. When he got off he phone, he asked me a question before even saying hi and then looked at me with what I felt was an accusing look and said, "are you ok?" To which I answered, slightly irritated, "yes- why?"- "Oh, just asking."

After that, I already didn't feel quite as chirpy anymore. I went upstairs to make myself a coffee and walked past Ben, the cleaner. "Morning Ben. How are you?"- "Good, thanks. Ahem... are you alright? You look really tired." I started to get annoyed. "I'm fine," I said, now feeling grumpy. "It's only Tuesday," Ben added. "You can't be that tired already on Tuesday." I took a deep breath. "Thanks Ben. I felt fine before everyone started to point out that I look like shit."

After that, I had to go to the bathroom to check whether I really looked that bad. Well, I looked grumpier than before, that's for sure. And there was a little dark shadow under my eyes that I hadn't seen before. Damn you people and your stupid self-fulfilling prophecies.

27 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Maybe you're being fired at the end of the week and no one's told you yet... :)

December 18, 2007 at 10:01 PM

 
Blogger Seraphine said...

Lol, it sounds like you
didn't wipe the sleep out
of your eyes or something.
It's nice to know people
care enough to ask you how
you are, and I'm sure they
weren't telling you you
look like shite, because
you con't. Love the smiley pic.

December 19, 2007 at 5:35 AM

 
Blogger Callie said...

I lurve your hair do and all...They were just jealous. Pay no mind to moocher..He has been doing to many pilates squats or sumethin.

callie

December 19, 2007 at 6:33 AM

 
Blogger SJ said...

Squats rock :)

December 19, 2007 at 8:53 AM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

When people ask questions like that it is because something is out of wack, Boss being in early may have caused you to have a puzzled look on your face, his comment caused a more dazed appearance noticed by the super. Now it is a down hill slide from there unless you take the day off...so go Christmas Shopping because you only have a week left silly. Get me something nice!

December 19, 2007 at 8:56 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

SJ- That's impossible. The business is closing down at the end of the week, so we're all out of jobs though! So maybe you ARE onto something.

Sera- I just saw your post today. Great minds think alike!

Callie- Hahaha, I think you could be right!

SJ- They don't. Your thinking has obviously been twisted in strange ways.

Mystic- I think you've got it all worked out. Now let me run off and get that present! :-)

December 19, 2007 at 4:22 PM

 
Blogger Seraphine said...

I hope you learned your lesson
and stayed up late.
Obviously, that's when you're
putting your most recognizeable
foot forwards.

December 20, 2007 at 3:30 AM

 
Blogger Cindy-Lou said...

"You look tired" is just a polite way of saying you look crappy. I hate that. My boss does that to me, too, and I react the same way. "I was fine but now I'm irritated!"

December 20, 2007 at 5:21 AM

 
Blogger Kate Michele said...

The worst is when you tell them that you're OK and they don't take your answer and keep pushing. I hate that.

December 20, 2007 at 8:02 AM

 
Blogger Jerrster said...

you couldn't look like shit if you worked at it.

December 20, 2007 at 3:16 PM

 
Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

Yes Bettina,
People are always projecting their own short-comings on others f... them! You are the Beauty Queen, they just can't stand Your joyfulness when they feel themself as something self dead the cat dragged in yesterday.


Wish You a plesant Yule Season! Hug!

December 20, 2007 at 10:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wear a big tag "don't even ask" and then hoefully they won't ... whether you feel like crap or not. Sunny on the inside is what counts!

December 20, 2007 at 11:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Christmas Betts and may you enjoy a wonderful New Year.

December 25, 2007 at 6:36 AM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

Merry Christmas Bett

December 26, 2007 at 8:53 PM

 
Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

Taking a huge blog brake?
or moved ?

(( hug ))

December 28, 2007 at 4:24 AM

 
Blogger ysfb said...

It's something in the air that makes people constantly ask what's going on. I've been hearing it lately too. If I told them the reason then they would really start to worry.

December 29, 2007 at 5:11 AM

 
Blogger mardymichi said...

You oz now, bitch? Why didn't ya tell me? Merry xmas, btw.

December 29, 2007 at 10:02 AM

 
Blogger ANNA-LYS said...


(¯`v´¯)¤
.`•.¸.•´
¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(`'·.Happy¸.·'´)
(`'·.New 2008!¸.·'´)
¸.·*)*¸.·´¨)*´¨)¸.·*¨)
(¸.·(¸.·´ .·´¸¸.·´*´¨)

December 31, 2007 at 10:28 AM

 
Blogger Callie said...

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!

~callie

January 1, 2008 at 2:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Bettina. Hugs!

January 1, 2008 at 4:24 AM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

I think Aliens took you to their home planet to celebrate the New Year....so where ever you are...HAPPY NEW YEAR!

January 1, 2008 at 8:39 AM

 
Blogger ysfb said...

Happy New Years!

January 1, 2008 at 9:20 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New year Betts ... all the best for a wonderful 2008.

January 1, 2008 at 4:34 PM

 
Blogger Euromark said...

Happy New Year Bettina! I hope 2008 is good to you!

January 1, 2008 at 9:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoo, Mystic, didn't you already know? Bettina is the world's alien. She has brought all of us here to this, her lovely home planet. Don't you remember the lights? The tractor beam?

January 2, 2008 at 3:30 AM

 
Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

"You feel fine ...."

bla ... but we are suffering from Bettina-addiction!!!!!

Just keep on "feeling fine"

January 3, 2008 at 10:12 AM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

Seraphine,
I thought those lights were from the police cars and fireworks at the New Year celebration. Last Call for alcohol!

January 3, 2008 at 8:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home