Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Friday, April 17, 2009

India is never nothing

Namaste, my friends. Six days in India and already, I can barely remember how Switzerland works. This place is incredible in every single way. And while it was more than overwhelming for the first couple of days when an absolute overdose of Indian craziness washed over us like a wild river and left us gasping for air, we have settled into the Indian life now with an ease that surprises and amazes me. We let the current carry us from one magical moment to the next and let the power of coincidence guide us... it has served us well. My friend and I fortunately have a very similar travelling style: We listen to intuition, let little things amaze us and ignore the hassle as good as we can.

India is different. India is loud, pushy, dirty, chaotic, crazy, intense and challenging. But India is also full of magic and wonder, so colourful, beautiful, surprising, seducing, hilarious. We have learnt not to expect anything while being prepared for everything. India is polarising and challenges us to get involved and live as much as we can. India is always either this or that but never nothing. It always either smells like heaven, of fresh mangoes, curries, saffron, sandalwood and herbs, or like absolute crap, which could be sweat, garbage, urine, cow shit or a mix of all of the above.

India is funny. It still makes me smile to watch the complete traffic chaos that dominates the cities: Cows share the streets with rikshas, street vendors, cars, beggars, little kids, stray dogs, cars, bicycles and sometimes also camels and even elephants. It also makes me laugh how cunning a lot of the people are, although this can no doubt be annoying at times. But we have become street wise in no time and now know what things should cost and that if someone tells us that the hotel we want to go to doesn't exist anymore or that he can sell you a 100% pashmina scarf for 4 dollars, he's probably lying. Those things can be tricky, but they now make me laugh. I listen to my heart and don't take too much advise of people on the street- if they insist on telling you a better way, they often have hidden motives.

India is beautiful. The colours are stunning- I absolutely love how the red, green, pink, orange and yellow saris of the Indian women turn every place they grace with their presence into a happy place. I love the spice stalls, the colour of the bazaars, the incredible old buildings with their light blue colour peeling off. I love the smiles of the kids that run around on the street, the piles of lemons on the wooden carts, the narrow little streets, everything. India has certainly taken my heart by storm.

17 Comments:

Blogger Avshar said...

Ok that was not fair. I have wanted to go there for a long while and your awesome description has made it real for me. I now want to go so bad its almost painful. Its good for me though since when i finally go it will be that much better :)

Hope you keep having a great time. Soooo jealous.....

April 18, 2009 at 12:27 AM

 
Blogger Callie said...

That sounds so beautiful, Betina. Come back with tons of pictures and memories to share.

(((HUGS)))

April 18, 2009 at 2:35 AM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

Oh I wish I could be there to see it with you but alas I have other duties. Mo smashed her knee cap through her femur in a fall, so I am at the hospital rather than world travel. Do have fun for us both though. Brighten our days with pictures of your travels.

April 18, 2009 at 5:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the photos. It sounds like a wonderful place to visit and I can just picture it from your description. Take care and have loads of fun for all of us.

April 18, 2009 at 9:26 AM

 
Anonymous Seraphine said...

wow bettina, india sounds so amazing and... well... exotic. i know india only from books and movies and from talking occasionally with bloggers.
i'm struck with how friendly and curious indian people are. it might be noisy, busy and crowded, but i imagine once you get used to that, you begin to see the true beauty and vitality of a very interesting and complicated society.
have fun!

April 19, 2009 at 10:58 AM

 
Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

OOOooooHhhhhhh
AaaaaaWwwwwww
Lucky, lucky You, Beauttina.
Hope You have wonderful amazing lovely experiences for life!!

(( Love ))

April 19, 2009 at 7:40 PM

 
Blogger Euromark said...

I will probably never visit India, so your descriptions and - hopefully - photos provide a unique window into that culture. I wonder why so many Indians emigrate to the states?

April 20, 2009 at 6:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Thank you. I've always--well, since I was 18 or so and started looking into yoga--wanted to go there.
I knew it wouldn't be like my 'yoga visions', and your very vivid, first hand report confirms just what I've come to suspect it's really like.
"India is never nothing." I love it. Thank you again.

PS: to echo Euromark: "...hopefully - photos..." ? Although you've given me plenty of images through your talent for words already...

Namaste! Right back at'chee!

April 26, 2009 at 8:36 AM

 
Anonymous Seraphine said...

*waving* at you.

May 2, 2009 at 10:37 AM

 
Blogger Paulinha said...

Oh dear!!!!!!!!!
You are in India?!?!??!??! WTF??? I'm soooo jealous!!! And angry at the same time. I wonder, how are you gonna make it to Brazil if you're spending money in India?!?! You better save it up girl, because I'm bloody dying to see you... ;-)
Big hug and love always!!

May 6, 2009 at 6:28 AM

 
Anonymous Seraphine said...

by now, you probably have hindi and half a dozen languages memorized. and no dooubt, you're thoroughly corrupted a nice people. i hope.
stories! i want stories!
glad you're off having a wonderful time.

May 9, 2009 at 7:41 PM

 
Anonymous Imogen said...

Hey sweets. U back?
Long time, no see...
Hope to hear from you soon ;)
xoxox

May 18, 2009 at 4:06 PM

 
Anonymous Seraphine said...

She's having too much fun, Imogen. India will never be the same.

May 28, 2009 at 3:32 PM

 
Blogger ysfb said...

Where's Bettina? You can take the girl out of India but you can't take the India out of the girl

June 4, 2009 at 1:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bettina! ettina! ttina! tina! ina! na! a!

See, it's an echo, 'cause it's so empty over here... :-(

June 8, 2009 at 5:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Say! You didn't go and join the ashram, did you? If so, which one, and do they have any more openings? ;-)

June 8, 2009 at 5:33 AM

 
Anonymous Imogen said...

Hey sweets...

It's now been -officialy- too long!

I'm hoping to lure you back, with a little blog award ;) Come collect, anytime...

June 9, 2009 at 8:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home