Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Monday, February 16, 2009

I totally dig this spreading the love business.

Hello my lovelies. Sorry I've been a bit quiet lately. There's just been too much going on- a lot of work, a couple of new projects on the side and also- yeah, I do gladly admit it- a lot of partying. I'm happy though and really love my life at the moment. I feel balanced and at home here again- like I have finally arrived in Switzerland. And to make up for not posting for a while, I will tell you a cool little story.

Just before Christmas, one of my best friends and I went on a little princess trip to Milano. We stayed in this most adorable little boutique hotel and just spoiled ourselves with good things- lots of shopping, lots of laughs, lots of prosecco, espresso and good Italian food, breakfast in bed... all that kind of stuff. On the last day, I was getting close to a shopping overdose... we had been hitting it really hard. We went and had a prosecco and nibbles break at this cool lounge bar to get our energy levels back up. You do what you gotta go.

When we left, I still felt quite exhausted from all the walking around. We crossed the piazza in front of the beautiful dome and I said to my friend, "My god, I'm so stuffed- I can barely lift my feet." Next thing I know, we see this two young guys, maybe about twenty year old, in the middle of the piazza, holding up a sign saying "free hugs". Needless to say, I loved the idea and went straight over to get a hug. I was so impressed with the idea and we spoke to the guys for a while to find out why they were doing what they were doing. They said it was just an art project for them to spread the love and see how people react. Apparently they had been getting all kinds of people coming up, from business men to kids to pregnant ladies to teenagers and little old ladies.

Then one of the guys said, "Do you want to try?" Of course, I was all over the opportunity. I held up the sign, and before I knew it, I had people queing for hugs. There was a couple of young men, a middle aged woman in a business suit, a young girl, another man... it was amazing. I had seen a couple of people at music festivals in Australia before with "free hugs" t-shirts, but this was in a city in the afternoon, where people don't usually talk to strangers and where the majority is not drunk and feeling more liberated than usual. I couldn't stop laughing and was simply blown away to see how many people craved just a little bit of love. It was incredible. After a little while, we said good-bye to the guys and were on our way. And miraculously, I felt like a new person. Suddenly, I wasn't tired at all anymore. In fact, I felt full of energy, happy and bouncy and ready to take on the world.

It was definitely one of my highlights of this trip. To see how love can multiply itself out of nothing was unbelievable. All it took was someone to do something unexpected and the love spread out like a fire. Every single one of the people coming over for a hug walked off a happier person- even if just for a moment. I've always been a huge fan of random acts of kindness, but this puts a whole new meaning on the term.




15 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

Oh Betts! What a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing! I swear I could feel the love all the way here in America! I wish I had the courage to do something so bold like that!!

I love the idea of playing it forward and spreading the love! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

All the best and a hug from ~M

February 17, 2009 at 8:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wee, what a great idea. Spread it about for sure. I am soooo envious of your trip Italiano that I need a huge hug to make the green vapour disappear!!!

February 17, 2009 at 2:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the freehugs.org. it's a great idea. the whole worlds needs a hug. it's completely optional- if you don't want a hug, nobody is going to force it on you- but you'd be surprised how many people really do need that hug.
besides it's fun, and it inspires hope. Hugs to you for doing that, Bettina!

February 18, 2009 at 1:00 AM

 
Blogger Callie said...

Awwww! That just made me smile!

(((HUGS)))

I feel so much better now.

Thank you for sharing.

:-D

February 18, 2009 at 3:08 AM

 
Blogger Larry said...

That is so awesome. I have seen a video by a band called the Sick Puppies, I think it is called "All The Same". There is actually a Free Hugs campaign. Someone started doing it in Australia to promote random acts of kindness and it just grew from there. I have yet to run into anyone doing it. It is so awesome that you actually did. And without knowing why they were doing it, the effect was that much more uplifting and inspiring. Hugs are always great things.

February 18, 2009 at 4:47 AM

 
Blogger Avshar said...

Well it put a smile on my face just reading about it. I can imagine what the full affect would have been. Thanks for that story.

February 18, 2009 at 5:13 AM

 
Blogger Euromark said...

free hugs in Italy - why not??
But will it work in Germany? lol.

In this cold people are too bundled up to notice a hug...

but espresso in bed sounds very enticing...

February 18, 2009 at 8:59 PM

 
Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

I love this kind of happenings!

(( BIG HUG ))

And I am longing for Milano.
Last time I was there I bought a clear red laptop suitcase from MH WAY, when I arrive to a meeting with all those other dull black laptop suitcases - the bag works as a sunshine in the room ... or is it me? LOL

"The research and the studying of the people's requirements for a right balance between functional aspects and aesthetic sensitivity are the base of the philosophy of MH WAY."

February 22, 2009 at 4:04 PM

 
Blogger Ventila said...

As a part of La Dolce Viva (Fellini). giggle

February 22, 2009 at 5:05 PM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Girl on the run- Hello beautiful, so nice to see you again around here! It's been a while! And I'm happy you could feel the love all the way to where you are, because it doesn't (and excuse me for being so corny) know any distance. Lots of love to you.

Aggs- Have two huge hugs. Actually, make that three. And a couple for later. And one for the road. The good thing is, the supply is endless.

Sera- I think that's what touched me the most about the whole thing: To see how many people really did want a hug from someone they didn't even know. They all walked away with a smile.

Callie- Well, it's all just virtual hugs for you lot right now, but it's the thought that counts.

Larry- Yeah, I actually do know the Free Hugs campaign from Australia and I think it's a bloody sensational idea. I've seen people at festivals with free hugs t-shirts before, but I think they did it more as a joke. This one came from the heart.

Avshar- I was amazed at how it actually not only made me happy, but feel physically better. Hugs are the new medicine!

EM- Nah nah nah, it was just as cold in Milano then as it was in Switzerland. And I think wherever you spread the love, you will find some takers. I would actually consider trying it in Switzerland just to see whether the reaction was the same.

Anna-Lys- Whether it's a hug, a red laptop case, a smile or anything else- bringing sunshine into this world is priceless.

Ventila- I love that movie.

February 24, 2009 at 8:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

life changing hugs.
yeah, coming from you i can believe it.

February 24, 2009 at 4:41 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I really liked the Free hugs thing. I wish I could have gotten one. Glad that you are not taking life for granted and having a good time. Spread the love.

February 26, 2009 at 9:05 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

I want to try it!

March 1, 2009 at 4:46 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

It is a campaign!

March 1, 2009 at 4:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Smiling, I am, just hearing about it. It's still spreading!
thank you!

March 5, 2009 at 10:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home