Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Cry me a river

Have you ever cried for a Swiss army knife? I'm guessing the answer to this will be a resounding no.

I did the other day. It was on my flight from Zurich to Edinburgh. I was still working the morning of the 31st of December and had brought my bags with me to be able to go straight to the airport at lunch time to catch my flight.

I've got this Swiss army knife on my key ring- I love it. It's white and it used to belong to my grandmother, who died about one and a half years ago. She was one of the most influential people in my life and I still miss her almost every day. When she died, she lived in a nursing home and had not many possessions left, so the Swiss army knife is one of the only items I have from her.

At some stage during the morning, I thought: "I must, must, must remember to take the army knife off the key ring and put it into my check-in luggage." But I didn't do it straight away, and, you guessed it: I forgot. I only realised when I was about to walk through customs: my heart almost stopped.

Strangely enough, they put my handbag through the scanner and let me pass without saying a word. It was incredible- I couldn't believe my luck. But I still had to change planes in London and get through customs again. And that's where they got me. They have no mercy in London.

When they waved me over, my heart fell. After I had shown them the Swiss army knife, the security lady proceeded to search my whole bag, as if since I had one knife, I was likely to be a terrorist and have more. Then she examined the army knife. She decided that actually, only the big blade was too big, but the small one and the scissors and the nail file were ok- which I thought was strange, as there had been a time when you could barely pass through with a pair of tweezers. The lady asked me if I just wanted them to break off the big blade so I could keep the knife? I started to get some hope again, although the thought of them ripping out one blade still hurt.

She started to search for a pair of pliers and as she couldn't find one, disappeared and said she would be back. I had a very short transfer time and as I was already almost late for my next flight, I started to get a bit nervous. But I absolutely did not want to lose my grandmother's Swiss army knife.

When she finally got back, she said: "Sorry, but I can't find any pliers. So we're just gonna have to throw it away." And she threw it into a big plastic bin full of confiscated items. I was in shock. I wanted to explain to her that it wasn't just any Swiss army knife and that it was one of the only things at all I had from my late grandmother, and that I promised I wasn't going to hold up the plane with an army knife and couldn't she see I had a good heart? But I could feel tears welling up and a tight feeling blocked my throat and I couldn't say anything. I just walked off, and then the tears came.

Not just one or two tears. I walked through the airport to my gate and had tears streaming down my face. I couldn't help it or stop it. I cried for my grandmother and for life and loss and everything else. I didn't give a shit about people looking at me. I feel like airports are made for crying anyway and if there is any place you should not have to feel ashamed about tears, that's where it is. Clearly everybody just thought that I must have had an emotional good-bye with a loved one.

I just made my flight and as I got in, I realised that the flight attendant was the same one as on the flight from Zurich. She looked at me a bit confused- I'm sure she was wondering how I had been able to come up with an opportunity to cry during a 15 minute transfer at London city airport by myself.

17 Comments:

Blogger Zee said...

I am so sorry, really I am!
I had a Swiss-army knife also that I loved which "mistakenly" got "exchanged" with an other one at a party.
A year later I got it back, but a part of the big blade was broken. So I shaped it shorter and sharpened it, but it was never the same again (and also the tweezers were missing).
I wasn't amused.
Mine was an annoyance, but in your case I would have cried as well!!!

January 21, 2009 at 11:49 AM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

I am so sorry...I would have let you keep it.

January 22, 2009 at 12:46 AM

 
Blogger Avshar said...

You shouldn't feel embarrassed about tears. Its a natural emotional reaction. No big.

That REALLY sucks about the knife. I have this little quilt my grandmother made for me when i was younger. It really is too small for me to use now and it has many tears and sections that are frayed. I cannot bring myself to get rid of it even so. She made it with her own hands and put love in every stitch. I am sure it will be around when i die :)

At least your memories of her will never die.

January 22, 2009 at 6:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's odd how something will just hit you like that, seemingly out of the blue. after all, it's just a silly pocket knife. but of course, it represented so much more to you.
you're beautiful bettina. one of the things i like about you is you can express complicated feelings in a way everyone can understand.

January 22, 2009 at 6:29 AM

 
Blogger Paulinha said...

Oh B,
I know it might sound silly but I can imagine how hurtful it was. It isn't about a Swiss knife, 'cause I'm sure you can get thousands of them at home. It's all about what that one meant to you, the history. It's interesting how some silly things have such a sentimental value. And sometimes people can't understand what it means... Every time I forget to take my Swiss knife off my keyring when I'm getting into a flight, my heart freezes. My Swiss knife represents A LOT to me too. It was given to me by a very, very, very special person that I love and miss very much (wink, wink).
Beijos!!!

January 22, 2009 at 6:29 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Zee- Thank you. So as it seems, you know about how attached one can get to a Swiss army knife. I was pretty devastated. But at the end of the day, it WAS just "a thing", although it had meaning. But the meaning, nobody can take away and throw into a plastic bin.

Mystic- I hope next time you will be my customs officer at the airport then.

Avshar- I wasn't embarassed at all. I couldn't have cared less about the tears.
I like your story about the quilt. Isn't it funny how we connect certain items to certain memories? But as you say, in the end, we just use the item to attach our memory to. I now just treasure the memory without the item.

Sera- Thank you, Sera. That compliment means a lot. Especially coming from you, who has such a gift in dressing feelings, issues and thoughts into creative clothes that make them both more complex and more understandable.

Paula- Thanks babe. If you do ever intend to lose your Swiss army knife, you better do it in the next sixty years or so while I'm still alive, so I can give you another one. Deal? I miss you like crazy, as always! Beijos grandes linda!

January 22, 2009 at 9:52 AM

 
Blogger Larry said...

That sucks. I wish that you could have kept your knife.

I agree with Sera, that it is funny about how those things just hit you. Although I think it happens to all of us at one time or another. I'm so sorry it had to happen with you this time.

January 22, 2009 at 11:36 AM

 
Blogger Euromark said...

but the story isn't over yet - maybe the knife will swim up on the shores of the Zürisee... but it is sad that this window into your relationship and love for your grandmother has been shattered. Someday you wouldn't need it anymore anyway, but that is someday....

January 22, 2009 at 10:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is hard to let go of things that represent people we treasure ... but not as hard as it is to let the people go.
I would buy another one, as similar as possible, and dedicate it to your Grandmother in a little ceremony and make it the new representative treasure with which to evoke those beloved memories. I'm sure your Grandma would understand.

January 24, 2009 at 1:02 PM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Larry- Thanks. I do wish it had happened with something less important, but there is a lesson to be learnt in everything.

EM- I will keep my eyes open for a white Swiss army knife to turn up on the shores of Lake Zurich.

Aggs- That's a great idea- I think I will do that. Thank you. What a smart woman you are.

January 24, 2009 at 9:03 PM

 
Blogger Cindy-Lou said...

Oh that's so sad. They should at least let you mail it to yourself instead of throw it away.

January 25, 2009 at 10:43 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

That royally sucks.

January 26, 2009 at 10:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's no fun traveling without a corkscrew. i know!

January 28, 2009 at 4:48 AM

 
Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

Beauttina, I am certain that the meaning of this was that Your body needed a real cry out, and I agree airports must be the best public place for tears.

Me, myself use a rainy day to let my inner sadness come out. No one can tell the rain or my tears apart (it is rather salty in the air here lol). I cry for all those love ones I have missed, but also for all suffering and war in our world.

I have a tiny knife in black with garments in silver my grandpa made it when he was young. I will not bring it with me anymore, thank You for sharing, dear!!!

(( Love ))

January 30, 2009 at 3:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't even respond to this post due to the idiotic brain fart that agent was having. How in the hell do you tell someone the blade on a knife has to go- but your welcome to still plug out an eyeball and clip someones nuts with the remainder of your pocket knife?

Gurl, I am sorry. Want me to send you one?

callie

January 31, 2009 at 2:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so sorry Bettina :(

When my husband forgot to take his knife out of his pocket they offered to let him mail it to himself at the Seattle airport. I wonder why they don't have a place for you to do the same at that airport.

Hugs and Love, Bella!

XoXoX

February 1, 2009 at 1:57 AM

 
Blogger Chris said...

Sorry for the loss. Damn terrorists who make us have to endure such things.

February 8, 2009 at 11:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home