Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Saturday, March 07, 2009

You'll be tested

Today, for the first time in ages, I had a lazy afternoon all to myself with nothing at all I really had to do. Absolute bliss. I've been busy with work and play and a couple of other little projects, so some down time was just what the doctor ordered.

On the website of my favourite newspaper, The Guardian, I came across this article called "Let's play...make your own album cover!" It's basically all about "seeing what beautiful collisions of image and text fate can throw together, and then imagining what kind of music the resulting band might play." I'm a huge fan of accidental beauty and the miracle of coincidences and because I was just in the right mood to do something fun that served no purpose at all, I gave it a try.

These are the five steps:

Get a band name:
Simply use the title of a randomly-generated Wikipedia article.

Get an album title:
Use the last four or five words from the last quote on a page of random quotations.

Get some album art:
Use the image thrown up using this Flickr tool, which generates random images without copyright restrictions.

Make it look nice:
Using Photoshop, Paint, or whatever graphics software you have, fiddle your band logo and album title into some kind of visually-pleasing assemblage.


I swear to god I only spent about five minutes on each album cover and came up with five albums good enough to top the charts, I think. It's amazing how beautiful randomness can be. There is something so pure about coincidence, which you can almost not create by trying. The idea is that you also write a little blurb about what music the band might play but that was a bit too much time for me to spend on this little project, as much fun as it is. Here are my results:






16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They all look really cool. I think you have found a new career as an Album cover designer.

March 8, 2009 at 8:52 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

One and three are my favorites. Good job.

March 9, 2009 at 12:39 AM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

I agree with Aggie...cool

March 9, 2009 at 5:37 AM

 
Blogger Zee said...

Du bisch jetzt no a luschtigi!
Covers without content? Isn't that the American dream come true?
What about some music... can't do that on Photoshop!
But I do like your first design because it is clean, and your last one because it suggests a mysterious move.
Hoi, bis demnaechgt...

March 9, 2009 at 1:24 PM

 
Blogger Euromark said...

Yes, your new career, but you have given away your secret to success. Don't trash it, stash is...lol.

March 10, 2009 at 2:51 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow bettina! you are so amazing. i love the idea, and i have to say, your album art is better than 90% of the crap i see in itunes. now i want to try!!!
i had a lazy saturday too, after staying up almost all night on my birthdat friday. but but but... i wasn't nearly as creative as you.

March 10, 2009 at 6:44 AM

 
Blogger Avshar said...

Lol, no joke, i was just thinking what seraphine wrote. They should have bands go through this process. Would save time and money. Cool post.

March 12, 2009 at 12:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i made an album cover!
it's tomorrow's "comic" but- don't laugh- yours are better than mine.
true!

March 12, 2009 at 12:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the specs; I'm gonna try it.
"I'm a huge fan of accidental beauty and the miracle of coincidences..." I just love that.

March 15, 2009 at 4:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like all of yours, but my biggest thrill is for "The Space Knight." *LOL*!

March 15, 2009 at 4:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha a. decker. i'm a fan of accidental beauty too.
heyyy that'd make a great band name, if it isn't already taken.

March 18, 2009 at 11:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sera,
Yeah, it would. I think it might be a good post title, too. Stay tuned! ;-)

March 19, 2009 at 7:24 AM

 
Blogger Callie said...

Gurl, you are good! Now crank out some lyrics and some verbiage in tones and send me a copy of your masterpiece to frame. Oh- make sure you autograph it-

"TO MY BESTEST FRIEND IN ALL THE WORLD!"

hehehehehe.
lurve ya
~callie

March 20, 2009 at 1:43 AM

 
Blogger ysfb said...

I like the 1st two

March 20, 2009 at 1:08 PM

 
Blogger Larry said...

I totally dig the first one.

March 24, 2009 at 10:33 PM

 
Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

Everyday of life is a test
in a most positive way

Why?
Coz we all pass (to the next day)


I was back on my blog on April Fools Day ... I think that was a suitable day to come back on ha ha ha

(( hug ))

April 2, 2009 at 4:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home