Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Three things

Three things I found rather annoying today:

1. That patronising sign in the toilets at uni. It tell us how washing your hands is one of the best ways to stop spreading diseases. Actually, that's not true, it tell us that washing your hands is THE best way to stop spreading diseases. Now I'm all for washing hands, but that's a pretty big call. Anyway, the patronising thing about it is how there's a step by step guide next to it, called "Here's how". Which tells you how to wash your hands. Turn on the tap. Wet your hands. Put some soap on your hands, making sure to distribute it evenly over back and palms and don't forget your wrists. And before you leave the bathroom, please don't forget to open the door. It's kind of cute in a really weird way that they tell us how to wash our hands, but what the...!

2. The fact that I'm blogging while I should be writing on my research essay.

3. That the girl at the coffee shop this morning burnt my coffee. I'm a very peaceful person, but not necessarily when it comes to coffee. I like my coffee unburnt and I think someone who makes coffees for a living should know how not to burn it.


Three things I realised I'm very good at:

1. I'm excellent at anticipating when the traffic light at the pedestrian crossing is going to change from red to green. It's really not very hard to do, but I think most people just don't try very hard. I'm one of those annoying people who start walking just a couple of seconds before the light goes green. I love it when everyone else hangs back, waiting, and then when the light changes, they realised they should have walked with me. Because I'm never wrong (well, almost never).

2. I'm good at charming the pastry chefs at work or striking deals with them so they make me one of those killer berry cheesecakes. That cheesecake is the bomb. It's amazing. It's emotional. I typed up something for one of the pastry chefs the other day in return for a cheesecake and when I gave it to him, he said: "You're an angel." To which I replied: "I'll do anything for that cheesecake." Suddenly, he and a couple of other people that were standing around had this strange look on their face. "Let me re-phrase that," I said quickly. "I'll do ALMOST anything for it." He said, "Bugger! I thought that going to be really easy."

3. I think I'm pretty damn good at table football (or foosball, as they call it here, which I'm finding an extremely weird name for it. It means "football" in German, but it's just as strange as calling a certain variety of ham "prosciuotto", which simply means ham in Italian.). I played for the first time in ages the other day and I might have just had a lucky day, but man, I beat the hell out of the boys from work. It was great.


Three things I realised I'm not very good at:

1. Going to bed early. I suck at it. Apparently before-midnight-sleep is meant to be much better for you than after-midnight-sleep, but if that's true, I'm in trouble. I work late about four to five nights a week and the other nights, I'm usually out or then I just put off going to bed until it's really late again. It's disgraceful.

2. Whistling. Actually, I didn't just realise I'm bad at it, I always knew. It's absolutely pathetic, but I just can't whistle. I remember we used to sing this song at school that had a part that needed to be whistled and sometimes I would just do playback whistling. I still can't do it. Believe me, I tried. I got fairly close once when I practised for almost an entire day somewhere on a bushwalk in Malaysia. But it's just not happening.

3. Making long-term plans. It freaks me out when people start planning their Christmas lunch in June. I don't even know yet what country I'll be in in a few months' time.


What three things do you love, despise, wish for or don't care about today?

8 Comments:

Blogger Euromark said...

Well, here in Germany it's really easy to find annoying things (Jammern is the best habit here), so here goes for today:
1. I buy a sandwich for lunch at the airport and get an unhappy look because I cannot give them exact change - who's the customer here??
2. I go jogging through the forest, and several people think the path is there only for them, so I have to jog way to the left or right - off of the path - to get around them. If they drove like that they would never make it home.
3. A really big man sits down next to me in the tram and squeezes me with his enormousness, comfortably spreading his legs apart, while I with my 62 kilos get to fill in the gaps between him and the window. He seemed to notice nothing.
But, good news, none of this upset me, because it is life as normal here, and most of these people probably never even noticed these things.

October 25, 2006 at 5:45 AM

 
Blogger SJ said...

I love making people laugh. I despise arrogant people. I wish I could fly, right up to the sky, but I can't. I don't care about the $286.00 I spend all day trying to find in the accounts.

October 25, 2006 at 8:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Things I liked today:
Getting through 3 days worth of backlog of work by 3pm. Very satisfying even though I had to work like a dog to do it.
My cat was so pleased to see me when I got home he mooched & talked to me for ages. So nice to be truly welcomed home.
Got to share in another b/day celebration today ... that's 3 in a row.
Annoying things:
I hate burnt coffee too.
People who miss deadlines ... if I can meet a deadline, with my backlog, why can't they?
Slow dawdlers in the street - I need a cattle prod to get them to move aside 'cos I'm coming through.
I anticipate the lights thing too, and again I have to move some slow poke out of the way to get to where I'm going. They have legs, they should learn to use them. On my most impatient rude days I've been known to call them "pavement litter" as I pass them. LOL.

October 25, 2006 at 8:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

3 things i don't care about:

1. Being wrong
2. who wins Survivor
3. being politically correct

3 things I hate:

1. traffic
2. george bush
3. paper cuts

3 things I love:

1. mackenzie
2. calem
3. quinn

(those are my kids. not just random names)

October 27, 2006 at 5:18 PM

 
Blogger SJ said...

I say research and study isn't as important as amusing your blog readers.

*cough*

(Drums fingers waiting for another post)

October 29, 2006 at 11:38 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Euromark: those things are so German! I don't know why, but they really remind me of Europe. And people there do like "jammern"... Don't let them get to you! ;-)

SJ: I also despise arrogant people and wish I could fly. And I tried to find money in my bank account today, but I couldn't find any.

Aggs: I also hate slow dawdlers in the street! I'm not generally impatient, but I can't stand people who take up the whole sidewalk and then walk really slow. I've got stuff to do, ok?! ;-)

Duckie: thanks for dropping by. Your blog cracks me up. And yeah, George Bush and paper cuts are bad. But maybe paper cuts on George Bush would be ok?

SJ, again: Yeah, I know. I keep on telling myself that as well, and replace "amusing blog readers" with something appropriate. Research and study isn't as important as maintaining my friendships. Research and study isn't as important as getting drunk, etc.

October 29, 2006 at 11:56 AM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

What three things do you love, despise, wish for or don't care about today?
1.I LOVE THE SOUND OF CHILDREN LAUGHING.
2. I LOVE THE SMELL OF A CAMPFIRE (AND COFFEE) ON A CRISP SPRING OR FALL MORNING. BEST TIME OF DAY? JUST BEFORE SUN UP.
3. I LOVE THE OUTDOORS, CAMPING, RAFTING, BOATING, MOUNTAINS, RIVERS, OCEANS, STREAMS...YOU NAME IT.

THREE THINGS I DESPISE? (STRONG WORD)
1.ANYONE WHO WOULD HARM A CHILD..
2.CROOKED POLITICIANS.
3.ANYONE WHO WOULD TAKE ADVANTAGE OF, OR PREY UPON, THE WEAKNESS IN OTHERS..BULLIES, PUNKS, CHEATS, LIARS, GOVERNMENT ELITIST, ACADEMIA (POMPOUS ASSES), BASICALLY UNSCRUPULOUS PEOPLE IN GENERAL.

October 30, 2006 at 4:55 AM

 
Blogger SJ said...

Happy Halloween, ladies :)

October 31, 2006 at 9:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home