Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Thursday, March 15, 2007

The beauty of travelling

I'm back in Brisvegas. After a very long and painful flight. I left Switzerland Sunday night and shortly after getting into Dubai early Monday morning, they decided that it would be a jolly good idea to close down the whole airport and let us wait around for hours. Some Air Bangladesch plane had found it necessary to damage the only runway and subsequently mess up the whole flight schedule for the day. Not that I'm trying to insinuate Air Bangladesch did it purposly to annoy us. But it was still rather inconsiderate of them. If they really need to damage any runways, they could have at least chosen one of their own.

But anyway. I got into Dubai at 6.30am and was meant to fly out at 8.40am. Communciation at the airport was rather poor. Actually, it was virtually non-existant. I had no clue what was going on but couldn't help noticing that my flight was late, and so was every other flight on the departure board. After a while, airport management kindly informed us that there were some delays. Which was nice to know, as we hadn't noticed yet. Apparently we were going to get an update at 10am. Which consisted of me queing at the information desk with a bunch of hyperventilating fellow travellers and finding out that I should come back in a couple of hours. Thank you m'am. Next!

At this stage, the airport had turned into a big pyjama party. Whole families were sleeping in piles on the floor, business men slept sitting on chairs with their mouth open and the most unlikely people befriended each other. It was quite funny. I made friends with three people about my parents' age and met a guy from Nigeria who wanted to marry me. I did realise we all got quite close because we were all in the same boat, but I thought that was going a bit too far.

Throughout the whole day, I was calm as a rock (yeah, rocks ARE calm. Don't be like that). Seriously, I just couldn't be bothered getting pissed off, it's not worth it. I actually thought it was kind of comical, although also very tiring. I never allowed myself to sleep, as I didn't want to miss my call.

They started cancelling flights. After a while, we were told our flight would leave at 4.40pm. Which was a nice idea, only it didn't happen. Please come back later. When they informed us that we were now due to depart at 9pm, I only had a husky laugh left. Sure. Whatever you say. We did end up getting out of there, which I appreciated enormously. At 11.30pm.

I ended up getting into Brisbane at about 10pm (local time) the next day, where Dan was kind enough to pick me up and buy me a beer on the way home. When I got up the next morning to go to work (yes, I am THAT committed. It's sad.), I actually thought for about half an hour that I had slept the whole day and it was 6.30pm instead of 6.30am. My flatmates laughed their ass off when they found out. But I think I bloody have the right to be delirious after all that.

16 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Fantastic idea - let me arrange a marriage for you, and you pay me a few thousand dollars for the job. Deal?

:)

March 15, 2007 at 5:05 PM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

You are the adventurer aren't you? You must stop turning down all these proposals of marriage. For a few bucks SJ can have you married off by the end of the week thus putting to an end your adventuring nature. Actually marriage is an adventure...one in which you never know what will happen but a guy from Nigeria...yeah! there ya go. I'll send you a pot as a gift,... for your head,... to wear...not smoke.. I'm a traditionalist!

March 15, 2007 at 6:01 PM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

SJ- Let me think about that. Ahem... no. Why would I pay you money to get me married? I can get married by myself, thanks very much. ;-)

Mystic- So you think getting me married would only be worth a few bucks? I think you'd need to at least throw in a few camels. And, bad news for you. No end to my adventuring nature in sight. Sorry. :-)

March 15, 2007 at 6:41 PM

 
Blogger SJ said...

But you'd never get the class of guy I could find for you... for a fee ;)

March 15, 2007 at 7:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh hun...that's horrible :(
Glad you made it back in one piece :)

Airports can be crazy like that. First time I ever came to Belgium (years ago for my uni interview) I ended up getting stranded in the terminal forever on my way back home (due to the Sabena strikes). Not nice! Fingers crossed it hasn't happened since...

P.s. So proud of you for keeping your calm! I'd probably have mentioned sth. about bombing the darn place and got myself arrested :D

March 15, 2007 at 11:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh the nightmare hell of every exhausted traveller. Glad you made it back in one piece and I'm so pleased that tired as you are, you turned down the Nigerian marriage proposal!!! He probably had 15 fat wives back at home ... eek! Or 15 very fat camels and ... oh lets not go there!
Are you still in the twilight zone? or have you recovered now? You have a party to attend in N.Z. tomorrow night btw!!!

March 16, 2007 at 6:45 AM

 
Blogger Euromark said...

Calm as a rock? What about cool as a cucumber? I think getting up the next day and getting on with the normal schedule is the best way to battle jet lag.

March 16, 2007 at 6:53 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

SJ- I think that's extremely debatable. How do you know what class of guy I can get?

Imogen- Yeah, I'm training to be calm as a monk. It's working out pretty well for me. But sometimes getting arrested can be fun too. :-)

Aggs- It's funny, since I usually never get jet-lagged, but this time I seem to drag the tiredness around with me for a while. Might be due to the fact that I had a nightmare trip and started working again straight away the next morning?

The party! Sure! I'll be there with bells on! Happy birthday!

March 17, 2007 at 11:41 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

EM- I do like cool as a cucumber. How about relaxed as a lizard? Or composed as a cat?

March 17, 2007 at 11:43 AM

 
Blogger SJ said...

Ok, there's a Romanian gypsy here who says his brother will marry you. That'll be five grand, thanks... ;)

March 17, 2007 at 5:10 PM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

I'll tell you what, if you want me to marry a Romanian gypsy, YOU need to pay ME, not the other way around. And I'm not cheap. Five grand won't get you anywhere. Quality has its price.

March 19, 2007 at 12:27 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

Since you are apparently in the market for a husband I will throw my hat in the ring and propose, too. What could be more pleasurable then waking up to your smile? But I warn you. I am super virile.

The good thing about that Nigerian is that he did send you an e-mail suggesting some financial arrangments.

March 19, 2007 at 9:15 PM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

I'm so glad brought up that Nigerian Doctor who left so much money...wasn't he dead? There you go Bett, a man you don't have to kill after you marry him, and you know his love for you will be the same...forever!! He'll never change

March 20, 2007 at 6:08 AM

 
Blogger SJ said...

What do you mean? He's a good catch - has his own horse and cart ;)

March 20, 2007 at 7:10 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

This might be a good moment to clarify that I'm absolutely not in the market for a husband. Whether dead or alive, virile or not and with or without horse and cart- no, thank you, I'm not interested. Really.

This is all the Nigerian's fault.

March 21, 2007 at 8:22 AM

 
Blogger SJ said...

You say that now, but... ;)

March 21, 2007 at 4:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home