Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Monday, January 15, 2007

Love and peace, man

I know this is borderline ridiculous. Or actually, it's just plain ridiculous. It's been way too long since my last post and if you are reading this post now and I haven't scared you away yet with my prolonged absence, you deserve a medal for loyalty. Which of course I won't give you, because, let's face it, you're here out of your own free will and not because of me. Because you're hoping you might get something out of this- maybe some raunchy story or at least a bit of a laugh. Unfortunately, I have to disappoint you. There are no raunchy stories, at least none that I want to share with you, and I'm not feeling particularly funny either. Sorry guys.

Anyway. Seeing that sadly you will have to miss out on witty stories today, or anything of substance for that matter, I thought I'd share at least some photos from my week at the music festival in Woodford with you. It was absolutely amazing. Two of my best friends and me and one week of concerts, music, music, music, dance, thousands of people, chai tea, drums, sunglasses, bare shoulders, spontaneous laughs with friends and strangers, rainbow coloured headscarves, sandals, sun, cold beer, cold showers, falafel rolls, laying in the grass, running into old friends, talking to strangers, bright stars, dancing in the rain, rum and coke out of cans, peace and love, long skirts, happy faces, surprises, blueberry pancakes and soy lattes, group hugs, comedy nights, market stalls, straw hats, coloured lights in the forrest, guitars, kisses, smiles, drums, political discussions, art, dance workshops and inspiration. It's overwhelming. In a good way.

My absolute favourite moment of the festival was the three minutes of silence, when at 11.30pm on New Year's Eve the whole festival goes silent for three minutes. We were up at the amphi theater with another about fifteen thousand people. They hand out candles to everyone and spread the flame from the front up the hills, until the whole area is lit up with thousands of little lights. When the bell goes on, everyone goes completely silent. Nobody moves. And as everything goes quiet, the air starts to buzz with energy. You just sit there with goose bumps and quietly look around. It's like the world stops.

Paula and me worked for the radio, as I have been for the last two festivals before that, and even the work is amazing. We do sound recording, interview musicians, do vox pops, one meeting a day and a little bit of studio work. I love it. Woodford is like a little world of its own. After seven days, it's hard to go back to reality. But we managed. We're pretty tough.



Having a drink in our raincoats in one of the bars. Out of plastic cups. Classy.


A couple of kids are getting creative.


Michelle and me are dancing our ass off at the Batacuda Sound Machine concert- a Brazilian-inspired ten man band that gets everyone shakin' their hips like there's no tomorrow.


I need a bit of me time- I might just lay on this hill and stare into the sky for a while.


One of the highlights of the festival- the Xavier Rudd concert at the amphi theater. A one-man band that blows your mind and thousands of people dancing from the stage all the way up the hills under the skies. Unforgettable.



My partners in crime.


Someone's sponaneous art creation.


New Year's Eve. We felt it was our duty to go a little bit crrrrrazy. What a blast we had!


That's how my hair looked after one week of letting it go a bit crazy. I think I would look good as a rastafari too. It's not too far off.

13 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Looking good, Bett :)

Seems like you had a fun time. Of course I'm far too old for festivals and shennanigans like that :)

January 15, 2007 at 2:03 PM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Oh thank you Mister Jones.

You know, you're never too old for shennanigans. Never. My mum is 60 years old and recently decided that she was never able to have a proper rebel time when she grew up, so she's having it now.

January 15, 2007 at 2:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh what is your Mum doing to rebel? Cool.
The photos are great and it looks as if a fantastic time was had by all. Good stuff. I always loved the rock festivals I used to go to as well. Exhausting, but huge fun.
You are looking very Kylie Minogue in that last photo.

January 15, 2007 at 2:26 PM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Well, my mum has just generally decided she wants to have more fun and feel less responsible and obligated. So she is doing stuff like travelling to the other side of the world by herself, taking life drawing classes, riding on the back of my scooter or coming on road trips with me. I love seeing her having fun.

Are you not going to rock festivals anymore? You should! My mum might be interested in coming along too. That would be right up her alley, I think. :-)

January 15, 2007 at 2:34 PM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

Tell your MUM (MOM)that "Youth" is waisted on the Young...she will understand. However! I did get to rescue a young lady from the horror of the big city this past weekend. So there is still some use for us old farts.....OLD FART ADVICE: When in the big city,(or concerts) stick together with your friends, don't go off on your own....Wolves attack the weak... When you find yourself in trouble..look for an old bear...OLD BEARS don't like nasty wolves...I did notice that you traveled with the herd...smart girls.

January 15, 2007 at 9:03 PM

 
Blogger Euromark said...

Oh, looks like the result of all that fun was one reallllly long bad hair day...! But it was worth it, oderrrrrr? Dancing is very therapeutic, as is laughing and group hugs - see Chris' posts on hug parties. But I can't imagine seeing you - or me for that matter - rolling in falafel grass and bumping into friends as I roll...

January 16, 2007 at 1:15 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Mystic- I do like old bears. Old bears are good. I'm not scared of wolves though, although I'm not being stupid. But I think it's good to walk without fear with your head up high.

I like old farts too. They always have good stories to tell. :-)

EM- Oh yeah, it was so worth it! And I think the hair is kind of cool- maybe not for work. But for a bit of a laugh.

And yes, I'm all for group hugs. And laughing attacks. And dancing my ass off. Very healthy indeed.

January 16, 2007 at 4:23 PM

 
Blogger Paulinha said...

B, I couldn't agree more with every single thing you wrote in your blog...
Thank you for inviting me to the festival and thank you for helping me discover something so great and unforgettable. It was definitely one box ticked in my life!!!
Beijos!!!

January 16, 2007 at 4:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When your Mum hits N.Z. I'll get a scooter and off we will go ...
footloose and fancyfree works for me!

January 17, 2007 at 6:47 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Paulinha- No, thank YOU! I'm so glad you came along and I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Aggs- Oh, that sounds like so much fun! Can I come too?

January 17, 2007 at 10:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely!!!

January 19, 2007 at 3:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there.
Welcome back:)
Festival sounds (and looks) like an amazing experience!
Wish I could do that myself but, unfortunately, being a "one-woman-office" doesn't leave too much time for that:(
Will try to organize a little weekend getaway sometime soon though...

January 22, 2007 at 2:14 AM

 
Blogger Chris said...

The good thing about pictures is that we can think up our own raunchy stories about them.

January 22, 2007 at 3:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home