Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Letting it all out



It's been an emotional few days back in Switzerland, but I'm glad to be here. The thing is, the emotions that are coming to the surface at the moment are not being created by me being in Switzerland- they are around anyway, but they seem to be coming out a lot easier here where I'm surrounded by old memories. It's a good thing though, I'm glad I'm doing the emotional thing back here in my old hood, with my mum's shoulder to cry on. It feels more natural and I'm letting it all out. It's easier to grieve with other people who are sad also. I think I would feel quite alien if I was in Australia without my family right now and with not a soul who has known my grandmother, going through an isolated grieving process by myself. Maybe the sadness wouldn't even come out as much, as I wouldn't give it any time or place and instead run around chasing my tail and working my ass off. And then, who knows, maybe it would come out in bits and pieces in really inappropriate moments and completely throw me out.

The funeral last Thursday was sad, but also strangely beautiful. My skin was very thin the whole day and I felt like everyone's emotions floated right through me. The sadness gripped me early in the morning and put its heavy arms around me already before breakfast. I was trying to put on some make-up but had to give up because the tears would wash away every attempt of it- so I decided to go with a naked face and a vulnerable heart. It was a good day, with something very gentle and soft about it. All my family was there, including some cousins I had not seen for years. I had written a poem for my grandmother the night before, and my mother read it out in church. I had known before that I wouldn't be in the position to read it myself, but I didn't expect my mother to be able to do it. She was quite amazing. At the funeral of her own mother, she was strong as a rock and being the oldest of the siblings, she naturally assumed the role of the matriarch. She made sure everyone was comfortable, had someone to talk to, enough to eat and a hug if they felt like one. I felt strangely connected that day to all those people who happen to be my extended family, but who I don't see very often. I was glad to be there.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read your post while listening to a Sarah Brightman song and it brought tears to my eyes...
I know exactly what you are going through right now and my thoughts are with you.
And, it is indeed a very good thing you are back home, in your "safe haven", surrounded by the people you love. As they say, "no man is an island"...
Take care of yourself!

March 7, 2007 at 8:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you have been at home for this time Bettina. And your Mum sounds like the right sort of rock to have around in a crisis. Be kind to yourself and take your time.

March 8, 2007 at 4:26 AM

 
Blogger Euromark said...

Grief is better shared. When my father and grandmother died within two weeks of each other, I was in Kiel, Germany, and did not have the chance you now have, and no one supported me there in the grief. The way you are doing it now is definitely the better way, though any way is painful. And we see how beautiful and special life and love are, for though life may change or end, true love is stronger than death.

March 8, 2007 at 7:33 PM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Imogen- Thank you. Indeed, no man is an island. That's so true. We're all the same somehow.

Aggs- Thank you too. I'm feeling very fortunate to have so many lovely people around me and even "virtual friends" who are being so kind to me... And yes, my mum definitely is a bit of a rock- although I'm glad she has her weak moments too.

EM- "True love is stronger than death"- what wise and beautiful words. Thank you.

March 8, 2007 at 11:13 PM

 
Blogger SJ said...

It's a hard thing to do. Same thing happened to me a few years back - I was in Aussie and came home for the funeral. So I understand your words.

Stay strong :)

March 10, 2007 at 4:44 PM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

Have a safe flight home...wave as you fly over...

March 11, 2007 at 2:28 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

SJ- Thank you. I'm pretty tough- I'll be fine. :-)

Mystic- Thanks! You would need to have pretty good eyes though to see me wave- I'm flying the other way around (via Dubai and Singapore).

March 11, 2007 at 9:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Safe journey home Bettina.

March 11, 2007 at 9:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home