Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Sunday, April 15, 2007

I have been left

Yes, that's right, I have been left. By my day receptionist. She just dissapeared in the middle of her shift on Wednesday and never came back.

I'm the functions and marketing manager at one of the biggest and most reputable restaurants in the city, and I also look after the reception team. My relatively new day receptionist asked me for a talk about ten days ago and told me she was seriously considering to resign because she was having problems with the owner of the restaurant. I told her that I would be very sad to see her go but would understand and accept her decision. I said the only thing I asked from her was to please give me a bit of notice so I could get prepared. I said, whatever you decide, please talk to me- because if you let it escalate and just storm out one day, it will cause me a lot of grief. She said, Bettina, I have so much respect for you and you have always been so good to me. I would never let you down. I was glad to hear that and never doubted she was honest with me. We always had a great work relationship and I would praise her for her work frequently and bought her presents on a couple of occasions to thank her for a job well done. She once told me I was the only person at work who consistently treated her nicely.

She didn't resign though over the next few days and I assumed she was still looking for another job. Until she dissapeared on Wednesday in the middle of lunch service. Nobody saw her leave. The owner of the restaurant called me in my office to ask if I knew where she'd gone and I came upstairs because I was worried. She knew she couldn't take breaks without anyone covering the front desk for her and had never done this before.

I started to look for her everywhere and became more and more concerned. She wasn't in the restrooms or in the smoking area outside or anywhere to be seen. I went searching for her outside but couldn't find her. The day before she had been upset because of a family problem and I had ended up sending her home, so I assumed something might have happened to her family. I started calling her mobile phone and left about three messages throughout the afternoon. No reply.

I covered the front desk for her until the evening receptionist came in but couldn't concentrate on anything because I was worried sick about what might have happened to her. I sent her two text messages begging her to please at least let me know she was ok, telling her I was deeply disturbed by her dissapearance. Nothing.

A couple of people started to suggest that maybe this was her way of leaving and she was never going to come back but I refused to even consider this option. She would never do this to me, I said, she's not like that. She might do it to the owner of the restaurant but she would definitely talk to me.

Well, apparently she wouldn't. She has never been seen again and never even bothered to contact me. She didn't even have the decency to send me a text message. She just vanished.

I am bitterly dissapointed and deeply disturbed by her way of leaving. I am currently going through the five stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. What a kick in the face. "So much respect for you"- my ass.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, isn't that the pits. Maybe the thing at home, on top of the thing at work, tipped the balance and she just had a melt down and couldn't handle it. She is probably too embarrassed after what she said to you, to then front up. By text or in person. It's a guess, but I'm picking she is pretty young huh? A character flaw of some young folk is not being able to face up to people they let down. You have done all you can do ... which is of course, no comfort to you at all.

April 15, 2007 at 5:01 PM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Thanks for that, Aggs, I think you're pretty spot on. I don't think she is a bad person, I think she just wasn't strong or mature enough to be able to front up, exactely as you said. She was literally running away from her problems. And yes, she was quite young.

The thing that disappointed me so much was that it made me feel like she didn't trust me enough to talk to me- but I realise now that this wasn't the reason. I do wonder though if she'd already planned the runner for a few days (even before the family problems), as she left on pay day, just after she had been paid.

April 15, 2007 at 5:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. It does sound like in a less than up front manner, she was already planning to do a bunk and was warning you ahead of time. I think you are right! Lets hope your next receptionist has a bit more maturity.

April 15, 2007 at 5:36 PM

 
Blogger Jerrster said...

Well Bettina now that I see she left on payday she just didn't have the guts to face her responsibilites. She probably isn't a bad person as you say...just not mature enough to face you. Those kinds of choices will finally catch up to her.

April 16, 2007 at 4:30 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Aggs- yes, let's hope that. I've got all my fingers and toes crossed but I don't have my hopes up too high... it's been a bit hard lately.

Jerry- I absolutely agree, I think those choices will catch up with her at one stage. I feel sorry for her that she cannot deal with it better. I think some issues in your life keep revisiting you until you have dealt with them.

April 17, 2007 at 7:07 PM

 
Blogger SJ said...

Aliens. Gotta be the answer. She was abducted :)

April 18, 2007 at 3:40 AM

 
Blogger Euromark said...

Perhaps she was a sleeper, and now she has been awoken into action... sounds James Bondish... Perhaps she was afraid to talk- hard to know.

April 18, 2007 at 3:42 AM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

Sometimes Enough is Enough and you can't take anymore...She had reached her limit..It had nothing to do with you Bett, she just had to go...Let us wish her well, as I'm sure she meant it when she told you that she would never do that to you..She wasn't doing this to hurt you or make you worry...She had just had enough...

April 18, 2007 at 6:01 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

SJ- I did consider that option too.

EM- You think James Bond was involved? That would explain a lot.

Mystic- I'm sure you're right. I know that she didn't mean to hurt me, but it's very hard for me to understand that she couldn't even contact me afterwards, not even per e-mail to let me know she was ok. I do wish her well though- as I wish everyone well.

April 18, 2007 at 8:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about your Recep. leaving, but having been a manager in some stress habitats, there are those that will honor the request and those that have hit a limit. I agree it is not against you- perhaps she just could not handle it any longer, and knows she dissapointed you, and is to ashamed to confront you *right now*...Keep that beautiful smile of yours, and just be there to hear her out when she comes to you. Maybe some family issue also???

callie

April 19, 2007 at 3:49 AM

 
Blogger mardymichi said...

Maybe if you weren't such a judgemental self-righteous bitch and treated your employees with just a little bit of bloody respect they wouldn't walk out on you.

April 19, 2007 at 5:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's kidding right?????

callie

April 19, 2007 at 10:27 PM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Callie- Thank you, that's very sweet of you. I still feel like people are kind of looking at me as if I had done something horrible to her. I promise I haven't.

Mikey- I love you too.

Callie- Don't take any notice of him. Just pretend he's not even here.

April 20, 2007 at 8:21 AM

 
Blogger mardymichi said...

This time I was actually serious, but never mind.

Listen, love, when are you moving that big bottom of yours away from that shitty continent and back to Europe? I've got the role of your life lined up for ya, just AGAIN. So you better start packing. The cast and crew are waiting eagerly.

Any idea about when you'll be back? We need Labelle...

April 20, 2007 at 5:06 PM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Oh, it's Mr Charming and he's serious, apparently. Isn't he lovely.

Sweetheart, I will most likely move my pretty little ass over to Europe at either the end of this year or the start of next when I got this bloody degree finished. And when I get there, I expect little bit more respect. Bitch.

April 20, 2007 at 9:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh ok...
Didnt know if you needed a hand in a virtual whoop ass Jackie Chan style....*hehehehe* glad you two know each other.

callie

April 20, 2007 at 11:15 PM

 
Blogger mardymichi said...

Yeah Callie, we had the unfortunate pleasure of walking into eachother one night and getting drunk on newspapers.

Tinebine, so you're definitely on board? Everyone is quite excited. I'll have your wig cleaned.

I expect rehearsals to start at some point in February or so. I'm sure we'll manage.

April 21, 2007 at 7:29 PM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Callie- feel free to try a Jackie Chan style move on him anyway. He won't mind.

Mikey- look, I'm planning to be there by that time but who knows what's gonna happen between now and then. I could get hit by a truck or move to Kasachstan. Ok, maybe not Kasachstan.

April 24, 2007 at 7:39 AM

 
Blogger Chris said...

That is a sad story. The sad think is that she does not appear to be able to recognize who her friends are, and to me that would be a tough way to live.

April 29, 2007 at 12:20 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unbelievable!! What a horrid thing to do...:(

I wonder:
Are we just too nice for our own good or is the world really going to s***???

April 30, 2007 at 3:09 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home