Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Friday, January 04, 2008

The times they are a-changing

Happy new year, my dear friends. Sorry I haven't been around much. I've been busy watching my life change. Over and over and over again.


My job of three and a half years came to an end just before Christmas, because the business was sold. It was a strange feeling- not only was my own job finished, but I also had to say goodbye to all my work friends and watch the premises being completely emptied. The business- a restaurant, where I've worked as the functions and marketing manager- had been in the same position and run by the same owner for 21 years. To see it being torn apart and broken into small pieces was quite emotional for me. And how ironic it was, that I, who used to pride myself that nothing at work could ever made me cry (and I have seen plenty of people cry there), cried a couple of big tears as I walked out of the door for the very last time.

I spent Christmas Day with my boyfriend's family, which was also quite the novelty, as it was the first time in three years I didn't work on Christmas (and could therefore not pretend that it didn't exist) and also the first time I celebrated Christmas with a family since my husband left me three years ago. It was a lovely and very relaxed day and we had a few good laughs. I think my personal highlight was when a present was called out as being "from Zac the dog and from Charlie the bird to mum". It was hilarious. I should maybe add here that Zac the dog is a litte white poodle which is extremely old and blind, and the fact that he still had the energy to get together with the bird to plan a present is quite admirable.

On the 26th of December, we took off early in the morning to go to a week long alternative music festival, as I have been doing for the last four years. I absolutely love it and cannot get enough of it. It is a truly amazing week of unbelievable freedom and happiness- so wonderful, that we all did not want to come home. Just like every year. All my friends and I are only now, a couple of days after we got home, starting to get over our serious case of "after festival come down".

And now I'm unemployed. For the frist time in friggin' God knows how long. It is not a problem at all and will no doubt not last long, but in the current phase of my life, I don't particularly enjoy the feeling of being unemployed. I consciously did not try to get a job lined up in advance, as I will just get a temp job for a couple of months before I go back to Switzerland in about March. I've got lots of qualifications, the employment market is very favourable and I'm not worried at all. It will just be a little temp job anyway. But even just a day of being unemployed makes me feel somehow useless. It's different from being on holidays. I feel like I don't serve a purpose. Which of course is a load of bull, but that doesn't change the way I feel.

Anyway. I didn't mean to sound like I'm feeling sorry for myself, because I don't. Trust me, I'm in a good spot and happy with my life. I'm just at one of those points again where everything in my life is changing and one thing has finished and the next hasn't started yet- and I'm standing in front of the hole and wonder where my life will take me.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Betts ... Happy New Year to you and all the best for 2008. Glad to hear Chrissy was good & sorry to hear about the job situation ... the one thing guaranteed in life is changes, changes! But, you are right not to plan too far ahead. A temp job will come along no doubt ... in the meantime you need to get your head space ready for the new. You'll know when to dive into the hole. Betts jumping through the looking glass. I hope it will be a fun journey for you.

January 4, 2008 at 6:36 PM

 
Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

As former "speaker" ;-) puts forward;
"... the one thing guaranteed in life is changes, changes!" I would like to say if no change occurs we are no longer alive. It is hard work, takes energy but, still it is a journey of personal development!

Bon Voyager!

January 4, 2008 at 8:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bettina! Don't jump down the hole, but walk around it!
Best wishes to you. The thing with jobs, people let their jobs define them, as if a job were a measure of net worth. Well, it's absolutely true, but you *can* trick the mind into thinking you are on vacation. Close your eyes, sip a mai tai and *feel* the warm sand around your ankles. Still avoid the hole though, it's there to wake you up. Now, imagine the warm water around you knees (and don't pee)!

January 5, 2008 at 12:06 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unemployment was a major choice for me. At 29 I called it retirement. Now I call it boredom. I was so tickled that I wouldn't have to work and now well... Uhh. I have a lot of coffee and wine breaks in between planning odd ball vacations and bizarre home projects. I also make dinners that take over 2 hours.. not because I want too but to have something to do some days. Sad, eh?

*Snicker*

Hugs Bella!!

January 5, 2008 at 5:10 AM

 
Blogger Cindy-Lou said...

Life will take you somewhere wonderful, I promise! Have fun and good luck!

January 5, 2008 at 6:24 AM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

I thought you had been taken away and I figured there was an alien involved. Welcome back! First, we work to live, not live to work so stop feeling upset or in turmoil about having time off. ENJOY the time off. I am so excited that you are going back to home to visit. Do suck up all of it while you are there. Love your picture...what a doll. About Change...it is what you make it. It can be exciting or frightening. It's all an adventure, live it to the fullest. And lastly MUSIC FESTIVAL? You enjoy it so much because you love to dance. Dance your heart out and never stop living life or settle for the mundane. Remember, when you look in the mirror there should be a smile on your face from the memory of the past moment. If it is a really big smile get a "bail bondsman" to get you out of the slammer....

January 5, 2008 at 7:43 AM

 
Blogger Barbara said...

You have such a great look girl!

January 5, 2008 at 11:29 AM

 
Blogger Euromark said...

Happy New Year! Well, sounds like "endless summer" down there - but "standing in front of the hole" sounds a bit fatalistic. It is a time of transition - when we always sum up the past and get existential (Europeans are good at that existential stuff...) And March is less than 60 days away... gasp.... es wird schon kchlappen..

January 6, 2008 at 7:44 AM

 
Blogger Callie said...

GLad you are back, you were missed! Happy 2008 Bettina, and no worries, a better job is on the way!!

~callie

January 7, 2008 at 11:59 PM

 
Blogger ysfb said...

Not having job forces me to think so that's why I always have to be doing something. I tried drinking more but the hangovers just didn't work out the next day for me. By saying that I think I just decided to work and drink more to even the craziness out. I'm so going to die soon.

January 8, 2008 at 8:17 AM

 
Blogger Jerrster said...

well....now the adventures begin.

January 8, 2008 at 2:05 PM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Aggs- Thank you, and a very happy new year to you too! Thank you for your kind words- I'm sure everything will work out. I'm just getting a bit impatient.

Anna-Lys- Wise words, my friend. You are right- the only thing we can be guaranteed is change. Change is good- but it freaks us out sometime too.

Sera- I wasn't going to jump into the hole, don't worry! And I absolutely agree with you- we often let our jobs define us. I hate when people ask "what do you do?"- I always feel like saying "many, many different things- and you?" A job is by far not the only thing I do.

Blither- Hello lovely, so nice to see you around here! Can I come and plan bizarre home projects and cook 2 hour dinners with you? That sounds like so much fun! :-) Hugs

Thanks, Cindy-Lou. I'm sure you're right. I just tend to get a bit impatient. Bring the wonderful on already!

Mystic- Thank you, thank you, thank you my friend. Your comments are always so warm and uplifting- you can drop by ANY TIME! And you are of course right (as always). Change IS an adventure and having time off IS great. Now let's get that adventure started.

Trojan- Hello, thank you, and welcome! Thanks for dropping by!

EM- Hi there stranger! Hope you've been well. The 'standing in front of the hole' part wasn't meant nearly as dramatic as it sounded. My mum used to say that in order to start something new, you first had to open up a hole which you can then fill... that's what I meant. Don't worry, I won't jump into the hole! Hahaha. Thanks for dropping by.

Callie- Happy 2008 to you too, beautiful! I promise I won't worry... Thank you!

YSB- I tried drinking more too, but have to agree on the hang-overs. Plus drinking without working is too expensive!

Jerry- That's right. Bring it on! I'm ready.

January 9, 2008 at 2:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home