Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

On the road again...

Now look at what a good girl I am. I'm travelling Laos and of all the exciting things I could be doing right now, I have chosen to spend a bit of time in a dodgy internet cafe to type a quick blog update so all you lovely people out there don't need to fret and worry and all that sort of stuff. It's all good- I'm here, and I'm well.

The farewell from Australia was heartbreaking. I bawled my eyes out for hours on the last day. Which some people might think is a strange thing to do, considering it was my very own decision to leave the place. But oh well, considering life is not all black and white, I think we've got some serious shades of gray going on here, and a serious storm of emotions, I might add. In any case, I got over the first heartache, and as much as I miss the people and the place, I'm now trying not to think about it too much and settle into the travel spirit instead. Which is just what the doctor ordered for me.

After two days in Laos, I'm already seriously in love with the place- and I haven't even left Vientiane yet. There is something peaceful, relaxed, beautifully spiritual about the place, which touches my soul in all the right places. The people walk slowly, even here in the capital, smile a lot, and never seem to be in a hurry. When this wonderful slowness is being combined with the usual colourful, happy Asian chaos, you end up with a very loveable place. I love watching how the monks quietly walk the street, sharing it peacefully with a few heavily decorated tuk tuks, some old vans and lots of bicycles and motorbikes. And somewhere in between there am I, soaking it all up as if it was some kind of a meditation.

I remember now how the people you meet along the way are truly one of the things that makes travelling so amazing. I met this very inspiring, interesting and warm Dutch woman yesterday after dinner, and we ended up sharing a few bottles of the devine Beerlao until we were the last guests left in the restaurant, talking about travelling, and life. Today, I met a young monk who spoke excellent English and showed me around this fascinating Buddha park somewhere out of town for a couple of hours. God, I love travelling.

12 Comments:

Blogger MYSTIC said...

I guess I'm the first to respond to your Laotian adventure. Travel and meeting the NORMAL folk is always fun. People by nature are very good. Continue on with your adventure and thank you for spending time with your Blog Buddies. You know where we are located.

April 25, 2008 at 8:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, Bettina, you make me want to go. The peaceful demeanor of the people must be incredible. I imagine a gentleness that accepts life. Is it scary? I mean, the city. Can you walk anywhere, or do you stay in certain areas because others feel dangerous? I've never been to Laos. It sounds incredible. I'm happy you are having a wonderful time. I hope you discover what you are searching for. Safe Travels.

April 25, 2008 at 11:59 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Missy! Glad to hear you've found cheap beer! Long live the booze hound... sorry, booze puppy! Enjoy the travelling and take care!

April 26, 2008 at 3:25 PM

 
Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

Ohh it sounds lovely Beauttina!
Enjoy! Enjoy!

<3

April 26, 2008 at 8:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have loads of fun Betts. Meeting the people is the most special part of any travel.
It sounds fascinating and it is such a shame that we (travellers) cannot post the smells and atmospheres of somewhere so different to what we know. Endlessly entertaining.

April 27, 2008 at 1:53 PM

 
Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

Where are You now?
It is a dangerous world out there, please try to give a sign!

<3

May 2, 2008 at 3:27 AM

 
Blogger Callie said...

I am so proud of you. Let me know when you get back situated so I can send you another card.

~c

May 4, 2008 at 3:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you! How thrilling. I can't wait to hear more stories! Keep in touch!

XoXoX

May 5, 2008 at 2:26 AM

 
Blogger ysfb said...

Sounds fun, take plenty of pics

May 5, 2008 at 8:14 AM

 
Blogger mardymichi said...

Sweetie, I'm so looking forward to your coming back. I might have a job for you too. Don't know if you want to do it, but it's kind of interesting and reasonably well paid.

May 7, 2008 at 12:06 AM

 
Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

You are not in Burma are You?

May 7, 2008 at 7:18 AM

 
Blogger Jerrster said...

Everything just sounds incredible...a trip of a lifetime. have FUN, stay safe

May 8, 2008 at 1:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home