Just another day in the life of a blessed child

Friday, July 18, 2008

Big brother is watching you

I went grocery shopping in this huge supermarket yesterday. It was shortly before they closed for the day and there weren't many people left at all.

I was standing in the cleaning aisle by myself, trying to pick a cleaning sponge for the bathroom. I looked at a few different ones and couldn't quite make up my mind. I wanted one that really scrubs, yet doesn't scratch the surfaces. A few of them said stuff like "do not use on coated surfaces" on it, which confused me greatly. What's a coated surface? Wouldn't anything you potentially use a sponge on (pans, pots, tiles, sink, toilet) be somehow coated in someting? I didn't want to destroy my coated surfaces, but I also didn't want some lame cheap-arse sponge that doesn't do anything. So I'm standing there, deep in thought, trying to pick the perfect sponge and wondering about scratches and surfaces as a voice comes on over the loudspeaker.

"Try our new super ultra amazing cleaning sponges! Soft, yet thorough, they remove any kind of dirt and leave your surfaces brilliantly clean while not scratching them. You will find our new super ultra amazing cleaning sponges in the cleaning aisle. Try them now!"

I stopped what I was doing and carefully looked around, trying not to look suspicous. Was someone watching me? Was there a camera on me? I hesitated for a moment, when the voice came on again. "Do try our new super ultra amazing cleaning sponges now! They are in the cleaning aisle! The only sponges that clean thoroughly while not scratching your surfaces!"

This was getting a bit too much for me. I quickly grabbed the nearest sponge and a few other items I still needed and made my way to the checkout. I'm not going back to this supermarket. I don't appreciate people making fun of me publicly while I shop. Just because I couldn't decide on a freaking cleaning sponge.

11 Comments:

Blogger Larry said...

I understand your displeasure at being called out on the loudspeaker at a supermarket. I would have felt a bit uncomfortable too, and I used to videotape unsuspecting folks for a living. But, it was kinda brilliant how they did it in an advertising type fashion. Did you grab the "new super ultra amazing cleaning sponge" by any chance?

July 18, 2008 at 10:49 PM

 
Blogger Euromark said...

How strange. But did you ever find out if the sounds were coming from a living being or from a disembodied voice? I have never experienced that in Germany, but la Suisse can be progressive...

July 19, 2008 at 2:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

at least, bettina, you weren't
shopping contraceptive sponges.
i can hear it: "contracpetive sponges do not protect you from STDs. always use a condom. 13% of women using this product become pregnant."
who wants to hear that from their big brother?

July 19, 2008 at 4:44 AM

 
Blogger Jerrster said...

oh wow....I can see the future...let's say you're in Victoria Secrets and you're looking at thongs or something like that and over the loud speaker you hear..."Do try our new super ultra amazing Granny Panties now! They are located in the back of the store!"....we're all doomed.

July 19, 2008 at 5:31 AM

 
Blogger Bettina said...

Larry- Hi, and welcome! I didn't grab the super amazing sponge. I WAS kind of intrigued by the sound of it, but because I imagined someone sitting somewhere in front of a monitor watching what I was doing, laughing their arse off, I didn't want to give them the pleasure of doing what they told me to. I'm not THAT easy.

EM- I really don't know what the hell it was, but it was definitely a living being, over a loudspeaker. It kind of creeped me out.

Sera- Good point. Or they could go even further and point you out. "To the woman in the white top in the cleaning aisle. Don't take that sponge. It will scratch your surfaces. Take the other one."

Jerry- I know! It's scary. I personally find it a bit much of an intrusion. What if the fat woman really wants the thong? Then she should have it, I say.

July 19, 2008 at 7:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If they're going to be obvious about it they should at least hand out advice too: "hey, you in aisle 4 - yeah, you with the orange dress on. Your bum looks big in that..."

July 19, 2008 at 5:43 PM

 
Blogger Euromark said...

oh my, such comments here... I am sure they have surveillance behind the mirrors in the fitting rooms - gives new meaning to the Germany word "Anprobe" kind of like "rehearsal" in English...lol
So next time you try on some clothes in a store, just look at the mirros and ask it - "what do you think? Do I look sexy?"

July 19, 2008 at 8:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is only fair that (eventually) we should be able to comment back. Tell them that their stupid sponge didn't do the trick, scratched off all your surfaces, and wasn't worth the money. Over a great loud speaker in store of course ... how many people would be left after I wonder?
How rude ... and they have rightly lost a customer. They ate stupid for breakfast didn't they!

July 20, 2008 at 9:48 AM

 
Blogger MYSTIC said...

I'm still upset about the traffic ticket I got from a camera back home. I was stuck in the middle of an intersection when the light changed. Camera clicks and there I am..running a red light at 3 mph. $70 US fine. I wouldn't have been there if the City Bus hadn't blocked both lanes...not my fault.

July 21, 2008 at 5:35 AM

 
Blogger Maria said...

I know you felt uncomfortable to say the least... but think of the possibilities of such a unique gift.

Your contemplating lottery numbers and all of a sudden the winning numbers are whispered in your ear!

Maybe you're more inclined to pick a wrong mate like myself and that same voice... urges you like a love guru.. no not him, the other one, yes him with the glasses and the quirky smile.. yes yes.. him!

Now allowing you to win both the lottery and find the love of your life!

Just considering the possibilities! lol M

July 21, 2008 at 9:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somehow this sounds like some teenage employee pulling a prank on a customer without realizing what the repercussions would be.

July 22, 2008 at 3:10 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home